Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foogal

Web Site Gened

Hi! 1. I am just now learning PHP, and I understand it is a web-oriented programing language. But what is a "dynamically generated" PHP "page"? 2. Why would a dynamically generated PHP page need to access SQL on a server? 3. As far as a web server is concerned, how does this setup (above: PHP page/SQL) differ from a client application trying to access another server program on the same host? 4. If I wanted "http://www.foogal.com," what else besides a web server and a registered domain name would I need (and besides a website with content!)? 5. Where do domain name registration firms get the privilege to sell/delegate domain names from?

1. Basically a page in which PHP generates the HTML instead of it being fixed by you. A good example is a website with different colour schemes. Once a user has picked one, PHP can fill in background colours, text colours etc, without you having to rewrite anything.

2. Well, SQL is a language used to query databases. There are a multitude of reasons you would want to use a database on a dynamically generated website. Say you had a list of games and game reviews, with screenshots, links, etc etc - use a database, and get PHP to use the info with a template page.

3. No idea. And admin I aint.

4. Nothing else, AFAIK.

5. Internic? Might be wrong.

RM.

quote:
Original post by Foogal
5. Where do domain name registration firms get the privilege to sell/delegate domain names from?

ICANN. For a good chunk of money, companies can become registrars for certain domain name extensions. Here is the list of all of them.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Upload up to four 1600x1200 screenshots of your projects, registration optional. View all existing ones in the archives..