• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foogal

Web Site Gened

This topic is 5232 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! 1. I am just now learning PHP, and I understand it is a web-oriented programing language. But what is a "dynamically generated" PHP "page"? 2. Why would a dynamically generated PHP page need to access SQL on a server? 3. As far as a web server is concerned, how does this setup (above: PHP page/SQL) differ from a client application trying to access another server program on the same host? 4. If I wanted "http://www.foogal.com," what else besides a web server and a registered domain name would I need (and besides a website with content!)? 5. Where do domain name registration firms get the privilege to sell/delegate domain names from?

Advertisement
1. Basically a page in which PHP generates the HTML instead of it being fixed by you. A good example is a website with different colour schemes. Once a user has picked one, PHP can fill in background colours, text colours etc, without you having to rewrite anything.

2. Well, SQL is a language used to query databases. There are a multitude of reasons you would want to use a database on a dynamically generated website. Say you had a list of games and game reviews, with screenshots, links, etc etc - use a database, and get PHP to use the info with a template page.

3. No idea. And admin I aint.

4. Nothing else, AFAIK.

5. Internic? Might be wrong.

RM.

quote:
Original post by Foogal
5. Where do domain name registration firms get the privilege to sell/delegate domain names from?

ICANN. For a good chunk of money, companies can become registrars for certain domain name extensions. Here is the list of all of them.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Upload up to four 1600x1200 screenshots of your projects, registration optional. View all existing ones in the archives..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!