• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShaneD

WebDev

This topic is 5236 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is ridiculous. There donesn''t *appear* to be any published media (books, online tutorials, websites) which delve into the real-world aspects of designing, developing, hosting, and supporting one''s own commercial-grade website. Oh sure, there''s those do-it-yourself For Dummies series of books, and there''s thousands of books on coding HTML, Flash, XML, etc. But I can''t find a single one that takes you through the business, legal, and development processes of starting a website. I can code the websites, I''ve been doing this as a hobby with practice HTML and PHP files on my own PC for a while now. Here is what I''m looking to accomplish: I DO NOT want to go through a web hosting company, even if it is much more expensive, and I have to spends thousands of hours learning the intracies of host administration. What are my alternatives?? Get a web server, register a domain name, and just go? Is it *that* simple?

Advertisement
>> This is ridiculous.

I don''t often post here, but my first impression is that this POST is ridiculous.

>>There donesn''t *appear* to be any published media (books, online tutorials, websites) which delve into the real-world aspects of designing, developing, hosting, and supporting one''s own commercial-grade website.

There are THOUSANDS. What you need to realise is that there is not going to be one book which holds your hand while you try to do everything. A sort of "A book just for ShaneD" - is that what you''re looking for??

>> Oh sure, there''s those do-it-yourself For Dummies series of books, and there''s thousands of books on coding HTML, Flash, XML, etc. But I can''t find a single one that takes you through the business, legal, and development processes of starting a website.

Because everything you start a website for is going to have different business. legal and development issues.

>> I can code the websites, I''ve been doing this as a hobby with practice HTML and PHP files on my own PC for a while now.

If you''re this naive, I seriously doubt that.

>> I DO NOT want to go through a web hosting company, even if it is much more expensive, and I have to spends thousands of hours learning the intracies of host administration.

Is this a statement or a question?

>> What are my alternatives?? Get a web server, register a domain name, and just go? Is it *that* simple?

Do some real research before you come here whining?

Ritual Magic.

I use a paid webhost, but hosting a site yourself is really simple. Install Apache. Congratulations, you have a webserver. Initially it can only be used as "http://123.45.67.890/YourSite.html" but you can just register a domain name and... well I''m not sure how DNS works but I''m sure it''s simple. Anyway it''s definitely more expensive using a paid webhost than hosting your own, but paid webhosts are always online and they have fast connections. I am often disconnected and my connection isn''t very good so I can''t host my site myself.

Anyway to address your complaints:

Designing: I''m sure there are some online tutorials on this but you can just figure it out for yourself. Design a site you''d like to navigate through, and listen to feedback from your visitors as well.

Developing: There are a million tutorials and books on web development. But you say yourself you already know HTML and PHP, so... why are you asking about this?

Hosting: Do a Google search for Apache and read the documentation. That''s all you need. (Though Windows Server 2003 is another option.)

Supporting: A vague term. Do you mean server maintenance? It''s just a computer; keep it working. Do you mean customer service? What kind of a website are you looking to create?

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Upload up to four 1600x1200 screenshots of your projects, registration optional. View all existing ones in the archives..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!