Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShaneD

WebDev

ShaneD    122
This is ridiculous. There donesn''t *appear* to be any published media (books, online tutorials, websites) which delve into the real-world aspects of designing, developing, hosting, and supporting one''s own commercial-grade website. Oh sure, there''s those do-it-yourself For Dummies series of books, and there''s thousands of books on coding HTML, Flash, XML, etc. But I can''t find a single one that takes you through the business, legal, and development processes of starting a website. I can code the websites, I''ve been doing this as a hobby with practice HTML and PHP files on my own PC for a while now. Here is what I''m looking to accomplish: I DO NOT want to go through a web hosting company, even if it is much more expensive, and I have to spends thousands of hours learning the intracies of host administration. What are my alternatives?? Get a web server, register a domain name, and just go? Is it *that* simple?

Ritual Magic    132
>> This is ridiculous.

I don''t often post here, but my first impression is that this POST is ridiculous.

>>There donesn''t *appear* to be any published media (books, online tutorials, websites) which delve into the real-world aspects of designing, developing, hosting, and supporting one''s own commercial-grade website.

There are THOUSANDS. What you need to realise is that there is not going to be one book which holds your hand while you try to do everything. A sort of "A book just for ShaneD" - is that what you''re looking for??

>> Oh sure, there''s those do-it-yourself For Dummies series of books, and there''s thousands of books on coding HTML, Flash, XML, etc. But I can''t find a single one that takes you through the business, legal, and development processes of starting a website.

Because everything you start a website for is going to have different business. legal and development issues.

>> I can code the websites, I''ve been doing this as a hobby with practice HTML and PHP files on my own PC for a while now.

If you''re this naive, I seriously doubt that.

>> I DO NOT want to go through a web hosting company, even if it is much more expensive, and I have to spends thousands of hours learning the intracies of host administration.

Is this a statement or a question?

>> What are my alternatives?? Get a web server, register a domain name, and just go? Is it *that* simple?

Do some real research before you come here whining?

Ritual Magic.

I use a paid webhost, but hosting a site yourself is really simple. Install Apache. Congratulations, you have a webserver. Initially it can only be used as "http://123.45.67.890/YourSite.html" but you can just register a domain name and... well I''m not sure how DNS works but I''m sure it''s simple. Anyway it''s definitely more expensive using a paid webhost than hosting your own, but paid webhosts are always online and they have fast connections. I am often disconnected and my connection isn''t very good so I can''t host my site myself.

Anyway to address your complaints:

Designing: I''m sure there are some online tutorials on this but you can just figure it out for yourself. Design a site you''d like to navigate through, and listen to feedback from your visitors as well.

Developing: There are a million tutorials and books on web development. But you say yourself you already know HTML and PHP, so... why are you asking about this?

Hosting: Do a Google search for Apache and read the documentation. That''s all you need. (Though Windows Server 2003 is another option.)

Supporting: A vague term. Do you mean server maintenance? It''s just a computer; keep it working. Do you mean customer service? What kind of a website are you looking to create?

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Upload up to four 1600x1200 screenshots of your projects, registration optional. View all existing ones in the archives..