Member aliases

Started by
13 comments, last by aaron_ds 20 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by dcosborn
I don''t understand how references subvert const correctness. If you need constant references, just make them constant. If you mean that non-const references can be made to point constant variables, then thats not really an issue since you can do the same sort of thing with const_cast if you want, but any sensible person would avoid such a thing.

As for code size, I''d hope that a compiler would optimize it away.

Consider for a moment this code:
struct A {  float x;  float y;  float z;};struct B {  B() : a(x), b(y), c(z) {}  float x;  float y;  float z;  float & a;  float & b;  float & c;    void assign_x(float v);  void assign_a(float v);};void B::assign_x(float v) { x = v; }void B::assign_a(float v) { a = v; }int main(int, char **) {  std::cout << "sizeof(A): " << sizeof(A) << std::endl;  std::cout << "sizeof(B): " << sizeof(B) << std::endl;    const B const_b;  const_b.a = 5.0;  //const_b.x = 5.0;    return 0;}

When compiled an run with MSVC .NET 2003, in release mode with full optimization, sizeof(B) is twice the value of sizeof(A). Meaning data size is greater when using references.

When I take a look at the dissassembly for B::assign_a() versus B::assign_x() there''s see an extra mov instruction in the generated assembly code. Which means code size is greater.

What''s more alarming is that I was able to assign to the value of a const object, because the references are there adding a nasty layer of indirection. No warning message. No red-flag from a const_cast. Just a straight up alteration to a const object. I might also add that it also subborns the DFA pass that many compilers perform when doing code generation.
Advertisement
Thanks for the informative post SiCrane. I wonder if its possible for compilers to evolve to the point of optimizing away the references. I don''t know much about compiler programming.

If we use const references to point to const data, there won''t be a problem with accidentally changing const data, right? I guess just be careful that you know what you''re doing when you make a reference to something.

If I were you aaron_ds, I would probably just make a primitive templated vector class and use that for all my points, velocities, and whatever else makes sense. I wouldn''t worry about inheriting for specific types. For access I''d use subscript operator ([]).
Hrm, It looks like I''ve finally come to the limitations of the language, rather than my own
Thanks so much for the help. Its not critically important that I be able to access them this way, but it doesn''t make sense accessing certian data by x,y,z when mentally im thinking something else.

What got me started thinking about this, is the interchangeability of the ''member'' names in ASM style fragment programs: .xyzw, .rgba, etc. Its too bad there isnt a compiler-friendly way to do this in c++.
What about simiply having multiple getters and setters for each float?

So internally them maybe known as, a,b,c
then you have functions:
getX();
getY();
getZ();
getR();
getG();
getB();

which return the approprite value, it means that you have multiple functions that do the same thing but if that makes the class eaiser for you to work with for you.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

FWIW, the anonymous union/struct method is a pretty common one in nVidia's code, but not quite for exactly the same reasons as the OP's.

For instance, it's rather common to see

struct Vec3{   union   {      float pos[4];      struct      {         float x, y, z, w;      };   };};

simply because sometimes it's nicer to access as an array, and other times component-wise.

edit: note that like SiCrane mentioned earlier, it is non-standard and in my example, probably (definitely) not portable.

[edited by - mfawcett on March 22, 2004 3:09:57 AM]
--Michael Fawcett

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement