Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nizro

Blur

Nizro    134
Well, I''ve been programming some light 3D for some time, and I''ve begun coding on a bigger project: a space game. Now, I''ve been playing quite some games for the being, to get some inspiration of how a good game would be, and so on... I ran opun Tron 2.0, and I was really amazed by the glow. I thought, that this would be very nice for blurring the sun, so that it looked really real... I found out that it ran well (decent FPS, playable) on this 500 Mhz computer with 384 MB RAM, and a 64 MB Geforce 2 MX 400 graphicscard, which ONLY supports vertex shaders... Now, do you think that the blurring is done on the CPU, or is it achieveable using a vertex shader? I''ve found a PDF-file about it (look below for URL), but it only describes WHAT to do, not HOW... :/ Hope you can help me :D http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/8230/D3DTutorial_EffectsNV.pdf

M3d10n    170
Render what you want to blur to a texture, then re-render the same texture on top of itself four times, with offsets by (-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, -1) and (0, 1), with a blend of 50% or something. That''ll give you a crude blur, and I think that''s what they do for Tron 2.0, since it works in a GF2 card.

That might be faster than sending the buffer from VRAM to main RAM, having the CPU blur it and send it back to VRAM.

Of course, blurring a buffer at full screen resolution will probably be slow, so you''d better used half, or even a quarter screen resolution, for speed. If you look closely, you''ll notice Tron 2.0 does this too.