Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dynamic vs static shadows

This topic is 5018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering which shadowing method is better to use dynamic or static. Also what types of shadows do most people use. I have never done shadowing in a game and I am debating on which one is should dedicate my time to learn. Thanks

As far as I know, both the techniques are used (even in the same game).
Static shadows are ways faster than dynamic ones (since you can have a lightmap or apply the shadowing directly on your textures). Dynamic shadows allow for neat effects.

In my previous projects, I''ve always used a mixture of both, it just worked fine. Of course, you''ll never get a "Doom 3" with static shadows, but taking the limited resources into account, these two techniques mixed together should be a good compromise.

No matter what you''re going to do in the future, understanding both techniques can''t be that bad, I guess .
Due to simplicity reasons I''d recommend taking a look at static shadowing first...

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

Thanks for the info. I have a book called openg game programming and it barely skims on how to do dynamic texturing and doesn''t go ever static texturing at all. I am going to have to look on how to do static texturing.

Thanks