Dynamic vs static shadows

Started by
1 comment, last by dr_slash_uh 20 years, 1 month ago
I was wondering which shadowing method is better to use dynamic or static. Also what types of shadows do most people use. I have never done shadowing in a game and I am debating on which one is should dedicate my time to learn. Thanks
Advertisement
As far as I know, both the techniques are used (even in the same game).
Static shadows are ways faster than dynamic ones (since you can have a lightmap or apply the shadowing directly on your textures). Dynamic shadows allow for neat effects.

In my previous projects, I''ve always used a mixture of both, it just worked fine. Of course, you''ll never get a "Doom 3" with static shadows, but taking the limited resources into account, these two techniques mixed together should be a good compromise.

No matter what you''re going to do in the future, understanding both techniques can''t be that bad, I guess .
Due to simplicity reasons I''d recommend taking a look at static shadowing first...

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Thanks for the info. I have a book called openg game programming and it barely skims on how to do dynamic texturing and doesn''t go ever static texturing at all. I am going to have to look on how to do static texturing.

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement