Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeoEngine

This topic is 5015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How useful is it? I''ve checked out their website and it seems pretty cool, but has anybody here actually put the thing to use? Maybe because it''s not quite at version 1 yes, but I don''t get what the benefit of using it is and to say just coding something yourself in DirectX or going the OpenGL/OpenAL/DSL route. --------------------------------------------------- laziness is the foundation of efficiency anomicworld.net | llamas! | megatokyo | gamedev.net | google
Tiffany_Smith fanboy

"but I don''t get what the benefit of using it is"

Yeah better write everything they wrote yourself.
Takes almost no time ...
stoopid thing they are doing there.

quote:
Original post by zer0wolf
...I don''t get what the benefit of using it is and to say just coding something yourself in DirectX or going the OpenGL/OpenAL/SDL route.
An engine does not a game make. The real part of making a game is making the game, not the supporting technology. Engines and libraries like NeoEngine, Crystal Space, OGRE, Nebula, Irrlicht and so on give you the underlying tech, allowing you to focus your energies on making the actual game.

I promised myself I would never write another game engine. I may break that promise one day, but it definitely won''t be out of necessity.

Programmers - particularly hobbyists/amateurs - prefer to code their own thing because it takes time to figure out someone else''s technology, and they''re too lazy to do that. As a consequence, there are dozens of half-baked and incomplete game/graphics "engines," but not so many games.

quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
hey olu, that link you posted was kind of disturbing. is it really that hard to make a complete game?
No. But it can be if you don''t have a clear analysis of what your project entails and what you need to do. It is actually this realization that causes the community to suggest Pong, Tetris and so forth as first games to newbies.

Promit''s problem was that he was building technology without a clear vision of how it would be used - and most GDNet members could be said to be in the exact same place.

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Promit's problem was that he was building technology without a clear vision of how it would be used - and most GDNet members could be said to be in the exact same place.

I'm lucky I happened to read this thread; that's the most sensible analysis of my problem I've heard all day

[edited by - Promit on March 22, 2004 8:43:05 PM]

quote:
Original post by Promit
I''m lucky I happened to read this thread; that''s the most sensible analysis of my problem I''ve heard all day
Well thank you.

What game do you want to write anyway? Have you done a requirements analysis? Do you have both a creative and technical design document?

I want to write an FPS similar to Counter-Strike.

Now I think you can already see the problem, because that line has been the basis for about 6 months of on and off tech work (between the problems of life). I noticed a while ago (about a month) that it falls rather short of a design document but tried to kid myself into thinking that I could somehow hack something together anyway. I think I''m probably going to start from square one. Most of my code base is still modular enough that I can adapt it to a new project with minimal work. The difference is, this project will have a clear goal at the end.

STOP!

Before you write another line of code, design. Sit down and write out the goals - in detail - of your game. Devise the architecture of subsystems, using use cases (imaginary scenarios of what would happen in the software in response to a user''s action) to focus your effort. Get the specifics down, or you''ll be back here in another six months with nothing to show for it.

Oh right, lol. I played with it for a week or two. It was very nice in terms of general architecture and features.

The main thing that turned me away was that they were having serious rendering pipeline problems, particularly in OpenGL (speed related). This wasn't acceptable for me since I needed a cross-platform (read: OpenGL) engine at the time. I don't know if those problems have been resolved; if they have, I need to go take another look myself. But yeah, it's a pretty solid engine as far as I can tell.

quote:

Before you write another line of code, design. Sit down and write out the goals - in detail - of your game. Devise the architecture of subsystems, using use cases (imaginary scenarios of what would happen in the software in response to a user's action) to focus your effort. Get the specifics down, or you'll be back here in another six months with nothing to show for it.

Time to pull out the 20 odd pages of powerpoint slides on use cases and UML from that SE class I guess.

[edited by - Promit on March 22, 2004 10:28:33 PM]