Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

simon clynes

directdraw or direct3d

im reading lamothe''s book windows game programming gurus. im up to the seventh chapter now and wondering if i should keep on reading it. i want to develope 3d games and thought 2d would be a good steeping stone. will all this 2d stuff help me with 3d or should i just go straight to "3d gurus"

2d game programming gets you familiar with the screen coordinate system and using techniques like double buffering as well a bit of the way a game works. If you can make a tetris you should be able to move to 3d.

~Wave

quote:
Original post by invictus
is it recommended to use direct3d instead of directdraw for 2d games?

completely!

You can use the Sprite class, texture class, font class, and later on if you want the vertex class stuff which starts pointing towards 3d...

I actually started directx9 from using gdi/api stuff eg bitblt, intending to use only 2D stuff, but now i can make 3d games as i didnt stop learning,

I''ve recently switched from DD to D3D. It''s definitley nicer, mostly because some of the odd problems and bugs aren''t there. There''s another thread about 2D stuff here; http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=214779

okay I am convinced. I will try 2d programming with d3d. however I wonder where I can find tutorials about this (that is direct3d doing 2d instead of 3d).

I have been looking around the net now, but I really do not know where to start...

This webpage (gamedev.net) has several good (beginner) tutorial pages on this that I found useful a couple months ago.

"Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."

p.s. As several other people already mentioned... look for tutorials on the ID3DXSprite interface.

[edited by - TreborZehn on March 25, 2004 1:17:33 PM]