Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have any good blending modes to share?

This topic is 5015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A couple of days ago I ended up ditching Direct draw for a 2D project and am now trying to get OpenGL to do everything. One thing I want to have nailed down is a couple of good blending effects I can use. I had Alpha and Add blends written for DD which are covered in OpenGL way better than doing it in 2D. I also was planning on using a Subtractive effect that I cant figure out how to get with OGL blending. It was just DesColor-SourceColor. Black ends up doing nothing an white goes black. Ends up looking kinda like a spooky inverted image. Best thing was you didn''t need any kind of alpha info and could use it just like attition effects. Addition is like happy/good energy. Subtractive was dark/evil and every now and then I would like some evil energy. Yet as I try mixing all the options I cannot find anything like it, or a replacement. Toss in the alpha channel with all the blending options and there are more than a few options. So I thought maybe some of you have come up with some cool blending combos you wish to share.

Unextended opengl 1.1 doenst have subtractive blending.
but i dont think you find alot of cards that doesnt support it ( since d3d wants it) nowadays.

the extension is named ''EXT_blend_subtract'' or if you have opengl 1.2 or higher you have the glBlendEquation(enum) call.