Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brann

try/catch not working in c#, getting crazy

brann    122
hi all i''m getting mad, here''s my code : try { device.Clear(ClearFlags.Target, Color.BlueViolet, 1.0F, 0); } catch { return; } When it executes, i get a System.NullReferenceException on the device.clear instruction ... I''ve also tried to catch this specific exception, without success What am i missing??

brann    122
i have added this to my code :

if (device ==null)
return;

it''s failing all the if test with a null pointer ex....

there''s definitely something i''m missing. how is that i cant even test device?

Arild Fines    968
quote:
Original post by Fidelio66
That means device itself is null, I don''t think try-catch will catch that exception, only exceptions within device.clear itself.

This is wrong.

Xai    1838
quote:
Original post by brann
i have added this to my code :

if (device ==null)
return;

it''s failing all the if test with a null pointer ex....

there''s definitely something i''m missing. how is that i cant even test device?

You can''t do ANYTHING with a null reference, except test to see if it is null, assign it a different reference, or assign it to another reference ... ANY function call or dereferences will cause an exception to be thrown (although I don''t know why your try catch doesn''t catch it).

Now I have no idea WHY your device is null ... but that''s elsewhere in your program, before the lines of code you posted.

brann    122
arild : yes i''m pretty sure it''s the good line
i''m using visual studio .net, and this line is in green with a yellow arrow in front of it ....

xai : you are off topic, my problem is the try/catch thing, not the fact that device is null.

brann    122
arild: hum you''r right, i mislooked something :

An unhandled exception of type ''System.NullReferenceException'' occurred in microsoft.directx.direct3d.dll''

but i dont know where i''m calling this dll, since i''m only testing (device == null), and device is private Device device;

brann    122
some new info on the problem

the problem occurs when the users hits the escape key, causing the mainloop to execute Application.Exit();
i''ve steped that in the debugger, and after this application.Exit, the program keeps executing the main loop, and in the render method, the test on device fails

i think Application.Exit() has GCed some classes, and that''s why i get nullpointerex when i try to access some variables....

but WTF.. isnt Application.Exit() supposed to free stuff, and then exit ?

Serge Asperge    122
When you call Application.Exit your form is closed, and it's DirectX device is lost, so it's best to check if the form is still valid in your rendering loop.

while(frm.Created)
{
frm.Render();
Application.DoEvents();
}

Just close the form on an Esc keypress

protected override void OnKeyPress(System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs e)
{
if ((int)(byte)e.KeyChar == (int)System.Windows.Forms.Keys.Escape)
this.Close();
}

[edited by - Serge Asperge on March 22, 2004 12:20:32 PM]