SOCK_SEQPACKET and SOCK_RDM

Started by
4 comments, last by Synth0id 20 years ago
Why is it that there has yet to be a network engine, atleast that i''ve seen, that uses SOCK_SEQPACKET or SOCK_RDM to handle what most custom reliable UDP API''s do? Is it that those Socket Types aren''t supported in all operating systems? or that they are slow, undocumented, etc? A little clarification about why we never see those socket types used would be nice. My curiousity is killing me Regards, synth0id
There is no point in doing anything at all, you'll die pretty soon anyway.
Advertisement
Here''s a simple answer, from Cisco''s IOS sockets documentation: "No standard protocols exist in the Internet domain to implement the SOCK_RDM and SOCK_SEQPACKET socket types."
Too simple for me. Why can''t we just assign a protocol ourselves? What is keeping us from using UDP or even implementing our own, whatever that would take? Any ideas?
There is no point in doing anything at all, you'll die pretty soon anyway.
UDP doesn''t satisfy the requirements of SOCK_SEQPACKET or SOCK_RDM.

If you want to write your own layer 4 protocol to implement SOCK_SEQPACKET or SOCk_RDM, feel free.
Which is what everyone else does.

Perhaps it would be useful to specify one of these in an RFC, but currently, there just isn''t any need for interop at this level.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
quote:Original post by Synth0id
Too simple for me. Why can''t we just assign a protocol ourselves? What is keeping us from using UDP or even implementing our own, whatever that would take? Any ideas?

Initiative. Someone has to take up the torch and design a protocol, submit RFC''s, provide a proof-of-concept and reference implementation, and produce a good design that is accepted by the IETF working group as a standard.

Also tcp will usually solve any problem that requires sequential and/or reliable packets.

Only within the realm of real-time multi-user communication do we look for hybrid protocols more reliable than UDP but more responsive than TCP.

In that realm, current work is focused on reliable multicasting, and the requirements of applications are so wide spread that no single protocol meets their demands.

Then, we have games that are forced to work with end-user equipment and locked-down internet routers, and not the "right way" using multicast capable hardware.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement