Model format?

Started by
8 comments, last by Moritz 20 years ago
Hey guys! I try to add models into my small program, but I don''t know which model format is the best for me. - The model should be created with linux, so it needs an output-plugin for that tool (I would prefer blender) - The model format should be well documented, so I could study it by myself. I heard that the md2-/md3-format should be great, but I can''t find an export-plugin for blender or documentation. Or what would you say? Are there better ones? Regards, Moritz www.archlinux.org
www.archlinux.org
Advertisement
You could use .ASE... It''s pretty easy to read and understand, it''s a text-file model format. I don''t know if Blender can export to it, but I would suppose so. MAX can, I think milkshape can as well, but not too sure about that.

-Trond
-Trond
The elysiun.com forums maintain a slightly dated list of available scripts here. A member of those forums is also working on a dedicated list for scripts, but as far as I know it is not available yet. This site has several import/export scripts including MD2, but I have not used any and can not attest to their usefulness/quality. You could also go with the Cal3D format. Their Sourceforge project page lists a library of exporters, including BlenderToCal3D. If nothing else, you can study these scripts to learn how to build a script to export for your own format if nothing else is suitable.

Golem
Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller
MD2 and MD3 are most useful if you want to take advantage of the fact that there''s already plenty of models out there to use so you don''t have to make your own. There''s nothing from stopping you if you do though and you can test them out in quake 2/3 to make sure they work ok.

Why are you using linux though? Windows might not be perfect but atleast things work on it.
I don''t want to start a linux vs windows discussion here, but perhaps he''s running Yellow Dog Linux on a PowerPC. I suspect Windows wouldn''t run too well on that...
quote:Original post by Kafeen
MD2 and MD3 are most useful if you want to take advantage of the fact that there''s already plenty of models out there to use so you don''t have to make your own.

Where are all these models? I can''t seem to find any decent MD2 models...
Polycount
I have the same question, basically. I''m designing a reasonably modern engine, but I just don''t know which format to use. I''m thinking about using Quake III BSP levels for maps (would it work with octrees??? - I don''t know what else to use besides Radiant that will generate lightmaps for me), but I''m just not sure about what to use for models. I don''t need to use existing models - this is all custom stuff. What format should be good? MD2 is a bit too basic... MD3 seems a bit too complex (but that doesn''t really matter too much). Should I design my own format and write an exporter for Blender?

BTW, skelanim would be nice too. All this stuff has to be doable with free tools.
Md3 is really just the same as MD2 with the exception of the boneframes and tags which are used to connect multiple models. If md3 is too complex for you, I would wait a while before tackling skeletal animation particularly considering the method for attaching models together is a kind of rudimentary skeletal animation.

A pretty simple skeltally animated format would be the ms3d (Milkshape 3D) format. Search google for it (sorry dont have a link on me) and download the editor and the sdk which describes the format. Real soon now (rsn.gamedev.net) has a tutorial on loading/animating them.

Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
Thanks for the Re. I''ve pretty much decided to write my own format. I need to be able to add things like bone weighting for the physics engine, curves/surfaces, and shaders. It''ll be in a text format - I''ll design the animations in Blender and then manually add in the extra stuff until I have time to write some tools.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement