Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n00b texture mapping problem

This topic is 5015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

yeah, its me again having a n00b problem... (using VC++6 and D3D) ok, I have 6 vertices forming 2 triangles to make a square, I am sure my texture coordinates are ok I mean, the 0,0 is on the top left vertex, 1,1 at the botom right and 1,0 and 0,1 at top right and botom left... the problem is there is only 1 of the 2 triangles who shows the texture... the other one is black... got idea on what could cause this ?? Im using screen space vertices also, and I think maybe the texture on the black triangle is shown on the other side which isnt seen but im not sure bout that...

I don´t know does D3D work same way in this subject as OpenGL but are you sure that you have drawn the vertexes in right order?

quote:
Original post by k0lpA
What do you mean is there an order ? I have my first 3 vertices for the 1st triangle then the next 3 for the other one...

You have to define your vertices in clockwise order, otherwise the normals point the wrong way. Add some code to rotate your box, and you''ll probably see your texture on the back side of one of the triangles.

Ok, I´m on pretty basic level on these things too and I remembered things little wrong, so my question was pretty irrelevant, sorry.

Anyway here´s what I meant, (I just didn´t remember at the time that texture will be showed on both sides):

By order I meant that (atleast in OpenGL) you have to draw vertices in certain order (clockwise or counter clockwise) to specifie which way the primitive is.

In OpenGL (by default) it is so that counter clockwise order will be the front..

So if D3D works the same way you should draw your vertices (for example) like this to see the fron face (counter clockwise):

A
/ \
B---C

By drawing them this way you would see the back face (clockwise):

A
/ \
C---B

But because primitive will be textured on both sides (atleast in OpenGL by default), that shouldn´t be a problem.. Sorry.

[edited by - Mkk on March 22, 2004 5:33:50 PM]

the vertices should be placed like this in the order 0,1,2,3,4,5 :

1/5-------3
|**\*****|
|***\****|
|****\***|
|*****\**|
|******\*|
0-------2/4

[edited by - -indirectx- on March 23, 2004 12:54:12 PM]

Turn off D3D lighting when the engine starts

someat like

d3ddevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, 0);

Then the normals won''t have any effect and you can see if they are the problem or not.

What''s your render loop look like?

Matt

Anyway here´s what I meant, (I just didn´t remember at the time that texture will be showed on both sides):

Yeah but if the normal''s facing the other way then there may not be any light on the triangle - thus rendering it black.

Its not the problem, D3D ligthing is off
heres my render loop :

App.D3D_device->Clear( 0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0,0,0), 1.0f, 0 );
App.D3D_device->SetVertexShader(MyVertex);

App.D3D_device->SetStreamSource(0,vb,sizeof(TexVertex));
App.D3D_device->SetTexture(0,Texture);

App.D3D_device->DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST,0,2);
App.D3D_device->SetTexture(0,NULL);
App.D3D_device->EndScene();
App.D3D_device->Present( NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL );

and this is where I set my vertices

//1st triangle
Verts[0].V.x = Location.x + 64;
Verts[0].V.y = Location.y;
Verts[0].V.z = 0;
Verts[0].tu = 1.0f;
Verts[0].tv = 0.0f;

Verts[1].V.x = Location.x + 64;
Verts[1].V.y = Location.y + 64;
Verts[1].V.z = 0;
Verts[1].tu = 1.0f;
Verts[1].tv = 1.0f;

Verts[2].V.x = Location.x;
Verts[2].V.y = Location.y;
Verts[2].V.z = 0;
Verts[2].tu = 0.0f;
Verts[2].tv = 0.0f;

//2nd triangle
Verts[3].V.x = Location.x;
Verts[3].V.y = Location.y + 64;
Verts[3].V.z = 0;
Verts[3].tu = 0.0f;
Verts[3].tv = 1.0f;

Verts[4].V.x = Location.x;
Verts[4].V.y = Location.y;
Verts[4].V.z = 0;
Verts[4].tu = 0.0f;
Verts[4].tv = 0.0f;

Verts[5].V.x = Location.x + 64;
Verts[5].V.y = Location.y + 64;
Verts[5].V.z = 0;
Verts[5].tu = 1.0f;
Verts[5].tv = 1.0f;

[edited by - k0lpA on March 25, 2004 5:16:36 PM]

[edited by - k0lpA on March 25, 2004 5:17:18 PM]

[edited by - k0lpA on March 25, 2004 5:17:42 PM]

[edited by - k0lpA on March 25, 2004 5:18:04 PM]

Have you set your D3DRS_CULLMODE renderstate? If not, set it to D3DCULL_NONE. The default is D3DCULL_CCW, which only shows counter-clockwise triangles. Although you said you rearranged your vertices... Worth a try, nonetheless.

App.D3D_device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_CCW);

int Agony() { return *((int*)0); }    Mwahaha... >8)

FIRST, I''d check your sizeof(TexVertex) to make sure that''s returning the size of ONE vertex data and not the size of the whole vertex data.

Also might want to verify that your structure matches your MyVertex flags. I''ve seen some unusal behavior when they don''t (e.g. If you specify the material flag but your structure doesn''t include the appropriate field, etc.)

Only other thing I can see that''s slightly suspect is SetVertexShader. In the DirectX 9 samples they use SetFVF. Might be the same thing, just a thought.

"Good code will come and go, but bad code sticks around."

sizeof(TexVertex) is 1 vertex data, yup
the MyVertex Flag is ok too since I can see 1 of the triangles with the texture
also : since I changed my vertex texture coordinates, the other triangle seems to have the same colors as the texture but is totaly messed.