Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My photorealistic terrain renderer(with volumetric fog).

This topic is 5006 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heh,my terrain renderer mostly works well now! shots Are it''s photorealistic? Comments,pls. Rendering at about 3 fps 1280*1024,PIII 700MHz. Version to play with will be avaliable so-on,i need to write simple script documentation....

this is voxels? looks amazingly detailed. can''t wait to run it on a p4 2.8gig.. (or an a64 for that mather:D)

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net

>=1 fps are interactive since soviet moon lander Lunochod :-)))

3fps is much more interactive that 1 hour per frame. I''m no longer saying realtime :-)
But at 4-processor system that should be better.(algo are very scalable,because it''s semi-raytracing)

Actually image here aren''t screenshot,i''ve misused word ,it was rendered at 4000*4000, then scaled down and then i used sharpen filter. Interactive rendering aren''t that amasing,there''s no antialiasing other than via supersampling and realtime rendering looks as good(or as bad) as Terragen "progress screen" while rendering.

It takes several seconds to render 4000x4000,faster than to save image.

You should search for "post a picture of your terrain engine" nearly one year ago here. I had nearly the same details (up to 1cm for a 60 km long view) but it's 75FPS on a P3 with a TNT2. Even though it's totally bypassed by the technology I currently develop. It's not a Voxel engine (was cool on Amiga, not on a modern hardware).

[edited by - Charles B on March 23, 2004 4:39:00 AM]

Hey,my engine doesn''t supports 1 cm with 60 km,nowhere near .

Maybe i will try to make it so good,but nexttime (if one really-really need mm''s with 100km far,it''s not a problem to blend together several lods rendered with current renderer,that''s for offline rendering,of course).

Also,it''s works with real landscape maps too.

There''s just only good texturing (and interpolation of grid) ,it looks almost exactly like actual geometry (so there''s absolutely no visible "gap" between actual geometry and texturing), and there''s post-processing that makes you believe that resolutions are really high. Like Terragen.

(Anyway, it was not simple to make texture that looks good after sharpen filter).

It can be used for skybox (or dynamic skybox) in game

I''m gonna to buy cheap GeForce FX 5200 , it really supports everything i may need?

the 5200 is ok, but this generation of
cards lacks precision.... not long till the
next generation come out!

its good for a cheap card, tho i would prefer
an ATI equivilant.....

if you ask nvidia or ati nicely
and show them some of your work
I think they might be nice and send
you a card....

Guest Anonymous Poster
For ps and vs supported on both cards FX5600 is about the same speed as GF4Ti4400.

nvidia says: gotta love marketing bs

//For ps and vs supported on both cards FX5600 is about
// the same speed as GF4Ti4400.
//
//nvidia says: gotta love marketing bs

Yes but the FX supports PS/VS 2.0 which makes the difference
when you want to code something more complicated.
Nvidia''s nameing of cards has always been misleading.
Its better to go by the chip name NV20 NV30 NV40 and so on.

The new NV40 will be interesting, we hope to have samples
soon from nvidia.... then there is a transitional stage happening with all the chipsets moving to pci-express, hopefully
pci-express will improve the way the data moves around.

The good thing about writing stuff using HLSL in microsofts
.FX files , is that you can write versions for different cards
to fall back on.

like a 2.0 shader that isn''t supported, just drop back
and use a 1.1 shader.

Anyway it is an interesting time for graphics hardware
as gpu''s become more programmable.

If you absolutely can not afford more card, then do a quick compare of the ATI 9600 SE versus a 5200 before you buy.

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=3271&head=1&comments=1

My understanding is the 5200 is a very weak performer, but that it is vs/ps 2.0. The 9600 SE performance is above 5600 level and it is also vs/ps 2.0.

Cost on pricewatch? $47 for a 5200 with 64 meg (goes to $54 for 128 meg), ATI card is at $62 for a 9600SE with 128 meg. Do the math as to which is a better deal for you. ;-)

I''m gonna to buy 5200 with 128mb at about 30$ ,it''
s not new, from "friend of friend of friend of mine" and 30$ it''s less than monthly fee of my cable internet(it''s costs me as 400mbytes download... ).

So i probably have to buy it because there''s almost no choise.Usually 5200 are around 100$ there.(and ebay,etc doesn''t works at all there)

It''s bad idea or not, to draw 768 horisontal textured lines consequently? My algo uses ray-to-ray coherence very much.Each next line have to use data from previous