640x480x256 or higher resolution in Turbo C

Started by
2 comments, last by chand 20 years, 1 month ago
I need to display images at, at least 640x480 resolution for my Image Processing assignment. I know to work with VGA’s 0x13 mode, but that’s too low a resolution (320x200). Any kind of help will be highly appreciated.
Advertisement
Extended VGA graphics modes are possible on some video cards. I believe the maximum that VGA cards can support is 360 x 480 (which gives some really funky pixel shapes). Unfortunately, I don''t recall how exactly to put the video card in this mode, but the graphics mode is often called "mode X" so a web search may turn up code or libraries that will perform proper initialization.
Google for a vesa tutorial which should support most resolutions, including 640x480x256. Otherwise you might be able to get into 640x400x256 using modex (eXtended mode according to pcgpe), but there''s no guarantees.
Look for VESA, normal VGA won''t cut this. The max a standard VGA could do was 360x480x256 or 640x480x16.

VESA was the extension for this, it allows all kind of high resolution and hi/true-color. It uses a different interrupt. If possible use the linear frame buffer, bank switching is a pain in the ass.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement