Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brann

directPlay vs Sockets

hi all i''m starting a project using c#/managed directx, and i''m now starting to programm the network part What''s the easiest ? (DirectPlay looks pretty complicated, but maybe i''m just wrong) What are the advantaged of DirectPlay over sockets? do u have links to some managed directplay tutorials? microsoft''s samples sucks thx

personally i like to use sockets because i have been coding hardcore networking stuff for the last 5 years . if i am not wrong directplay is more of a wrapper of the sockets and provides more options/methods instead of u coding them all using sockets.. hence you''ll save time during the initial coding process and later its almost the same.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article764.asp
checkout this article on dplay..

Actually since you are using C#, you might consider using the .NET sockets interface. .NET sockets are alot more friendly than winsock in native C++.

Sockets do give you more control over what gets sent, but you do have to have more knowledge about networking/protocols to use them over DirectPlay.

krad7 is right though, you will probably save some time if you go with DirectPlay and aren''t experienced with sockets.

i am very experienced with sockets, and not at all with directplay
but some features seems interesting, such as directvoice, or host migration