Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheASP

Getting DirectX 9 Libraries to Display in Visual Studio .NET 2002

Ok, simple question. I installed VS.NET 2002. Then I downloaded and installed the DX9 SDK from Microsoft, but the DX9 libraries do not show up in the list of libraries. I copied them out of the subdirectories in the assembly/gac/ directory, and can add them manually, but if I load in a project I have to add them manually each time. Is there a way I can fix this? Oh, and if I try and run any compiled .NET apps that use DirectX they can't find the libraries. ---------- TheASP *insert witty quote here* [edited by - TheASP on March 22, 2004 5:40:54 PM]

You cannot use D3D with .NET 1.0 (which is what VS2002 uses). However you can use DD, DI, etc.

Just reference them directly from the folder they''re located in (use the browse button). I have VS2002 and have to do the exact same thing. The assemblies on my machine (Win2k) are located in C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Managed DirectX

I suggest using Borland C#Builder (personal is free) if you cannot get your hands on VS.NET 2003. It uses .NET 1.1 and has no problems with the D3D side of things.

I''ve used D3D with both VS.NET 2002 and 2003 without any problems at all.

When you install the DX SDK, make sure you install the DirectX Extensions for Visual Studio .NET. This configures all the paths and everything else you need for VS and DX to live happily together.

After that, you should be able to compile any sample apps just fine. You''ll also have access to the DirectX App Wizard for creating basic DX apps very quickly.

neneboricua

Ok, I'm pretty sure I installed the DX extensions for .NET, the app wizard shows up.

"If you're using the Summer Update SDK"
I wasn't. I've started downloading it and it should complete in a half-hour or so. Is there anything special I have to do to un-install the other SDK?

ASP

[edited by - TheASP on March 27, 2004 10:06:57 PM]

You should be able to unintstall the current SDK by going to Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs. Make sure you reboot between SDK installs just in case.

neneboricua