Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dave

General Game Engine Structure

dave    2187
Hi, Im currently writing a game engine in DirectX for C++. The aim of the engine is to simply load and display objects from text files. The text files contain alot of details about each object and the engine does current load everything correctly. The question is, i am basically building my own game engine framework and im building it using classes. The situation is simply having a class to draw a panel mesh and all its related functions, ie rotation, applying materials and textures, then having separate classes for the lights and simply every different "action" etc. So is this the best way?, im having a bit of trouble with data flow. Do i store the rotation data for the panels and XFiles etc in the classes as structures or in one class that contains the information for everything. The problems that arise with my currnet method are the passing of pointers to the classes, to the other classes so that each class, especially the direct input one can alter the settings of the panels etc. Hope it is clear what im asking, Take Care Ace