Need DX SDK 7 or greater ASAP..

Started by
14 comments, last by monkeyman 20 years ago
Hey- I''m on vacation and got called with a minor emergency at work(crunch mode is even more fun working away from the office).. I''m stuck with a dialup connection and no easy access to CD burner, etc., and I have gotten ALL setup to work except for the DX SDK.. I''m downloading the install now(222 MB) and have about 15 hrs. left, so I figured I would post I don''t need docs, media, etc. I just need to compile an application that uses DX7(or greater), all of the code work I''m doing has nothing to do with DX, it''s just required to compile. If anyone can point me in the right direction to just get the minimum files required to compile I would appreciate it. I''m sitting here "in crunch mode" with nothing to do for the next 15 hrs. anyway, so there is plenty of time for alternate solutions if anyone has any.. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this.. -MM "Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
Advertisement
Why does it need the directx sdk to compile? Can you remove the dependencies?
quote:Original post by DukeAtreides076
Why does it need the directx sdk to compile? Can you remove the dependencies?

It''s an image processing application for digitally restoring old movies, and most likely wouldn''t run correctly with DX cut out..it''s a pretty big codebase too, and almost none of it is my code

Most of the work I''m doing is in a seperate dll(the app also uses several other libraries, not mine either)that is used by the main app..I have to modify the app some, but all of my work is isolated from the rest..

Good suggestion though, thanks

All you should need are the headers and the libraries (hopefully you already have the runtime and everything).

So, all of the files in \Include (8.43 mb unzipped). Also you don''t need all the libs (like the version 8 libs and the libs other than the base d3dx.lib). So just some of the files in \Lib (probably like 10mb unzipped).

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
MSDEV comes with the DirectX headers and libs; different versions have different levels of support. Just check in the Platform SDK folder.

Or, perhaps, you can find a recent download of Platform SDK headers and libs which is smaller than the current download.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
quote:Original post by circlesoft
All you should need are the headers and the libraries (hopefully you already have the runtime and everything).

So, all of the files in \Include (8.43 mb unzipped). Also you don't need all the libs (like the version 8 libs and the libs other than the base d3dx.lib). So just some of the files in \Lib (probably like 10mb unzipped).

That sounds about right(btw I do have the runtime stuff), unfortunately I would have to find an existing SDK installation to pull the files from..

quote:Original post by hplus0603
MSDEV comes with the DirectX headers and libs; different versions have different levels of support. Just check in the Platform SDK folder.

Or, perhaps, you can find a recent download of Platform SDK headers and libs which is smaller than the current download.

That's what I was going for If anyone knows where I can do this (I've been looking with no success) please let me know..

btw I couldn't find a Platform SDK folder in my MSVC++ install or CDs..could someone clarify where this is?

[edited by - monkeyman on March 22, 2004 10:42:05 PM]
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1 ??
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1 ??

I'm using slightly older software(MSVC++ 6), thanks for the info anyway..

I didn't realize all of that was bundled with the .NET install, that's pretty cool of MS to think of that in advance..

[edited by - monkeyman on March 23, 2004 4:31:44 AM]
I would suggest buying a book on directx with a CD in it, they all include the SDK. It''s probably faster than downloading it.
quote:Original post by Fidelio66
I would suggest buying a book on directx with a CD in it, they all include the SDK. It''s probably faster than downloading it.

I''m nowhere near a bookstore that would carry anything like that, but thanks for the suggestion anyway..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement