Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

firewindshadow

Need Map Editor tools.

Is there some kind of editor tool availble out there that I could use to automatic divide a single large map, say 2000x2000 into seperate pieces of small isometric tiles of 32x15?

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about pulling the entire map into the tiles as they are or clipping small areas of the map to build a tile library to use? If you are talking about using the entire map, wouldn''t it be the same as just using the map? But either way, I haven''t seen anything like that. If I do, I''ll post it.

"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"

Grellin

Grellin GDU:
They need to be clipped into pieces of 32x15 isometric tiles for the game. Would be even better if I can set the source color on the 4 corners used for transparency.

ZoomBoy:
Thanks, that''s what I need. An isometric tile ripper. Google search is coming up with nothing though. I thought it''s common enough that there would be a tool laying around in the web somewhere... urgh.

It should not be difficult to make your own program for this. A 16 by 16 square image can be remapped as a 32 by 15("16") diamond tile. In the case of a 2000 by 2000 pixel image, it can be divided into 125 by 125 squares, each measuring 16 by 16.

But if just want to render the whole image as a diamond instead of a square, you can just remap the whole thing directly as a 4000 by 1999 diamond.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Doctor J:
From what I understand from your method, there would be a problem. If all the tiles were generic floor patterns then yea, it''ll really speed up the process if I just remap 16x16 squares into 32x15 isometric tiles. However the game I''m working on also have isometric grass like and flower tiles which distorting of the image and re-arrangement just isn''t an option.

Perhaps I didn''t quite understand what you meant in the first post. Does the "large map" have lots of individual images - and you need to "rip" those images out of the big file and convert them into smaller files (with the diamond tile format)?

Doctor J: Yes, because the game had used a single background for the map in the past. And now I''m trying to convert the whole thing to an isometric engine while saving some time on the amount of work for the artists; so they don''t have to redraw everything again or manually cut the tiles out and rearrange them.

Ahhh... sorry for my misunderstanding.
It should be fairly easy to make a ripping tool then. Let me refer to the single large map as the "collage" and the individual images as "sprites". Are the sprites all equally spaced? Or are there some embedded pixels to indicate each sprite size? I take it that the entire collage has the same background color - or is it a pattern rather than a single color? Do you need to convert each sprite into a separate file, or do you want to convert the collage into a new collage with each sprite drawn as a diamond? What is the bit depth of the collage?

Sorry for being so nosey!

>>Are the sprites all equally spaced?

Yes

>>Or are there some embedded pixels to indicate each sprite size?

no

>>I take it that the entire collage has the same background color - or is it a pattern rather than a single color?

Yes, RGB (0,255,0)

>>Do you need to convert each sprite into a separate file, or do you want to convert the collage into a new collage with each sprite drawn as a diamond? What is the bit depth of the collage?

24-bit diamond collage.

wasn''t there a post here recently with a tool that would transform square tiles into iso tiles. I don''t remember if it was in this forum or maybe the general or game programming one but it had some good reviews and I believe it would do a whole tileset at a time too.

Evillive2

Guest Anonymous Poster
i think EDI has a tool like that on his website.
Title editor or somthing...

If you go here then scroll down to the tools and editors section and get the Iso Rotate program, I think that does what you want. It can convert a whole tileset of square tiles to isometric tiles (either floor or wall tiles).