Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ade-the-heat

don't want user to see my jpegs,wav etc

Recommended Posts

Hi Is there an easy to use way of packing all (or a lot) of my files so that the users can''t see my jpegs, .wavs, .midi and textures ? For instance I want to have a file (with my own unique file ending) contaning all the files I created. cheers Ade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster
look for pak files, i think there is a tut on this at flipcode.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don''t show it to the user then. Put them on a CD, put the CD in a safe, and the safe (in a concrete block) at the bottom of the ocean.

That oughta keep them pesky users away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you''re trying to stop people stealing your data, I wouldn''t bother. How many times have you seen people steal models/audio/textures from finished games? It only happens for very popular games, and then only small hobby projects use them before they get told not to by a legal team when they are found out. Plus, if somebody wanted to steal it, they''ll find a way whether you pack them in files or not. Anyway, you still own the copyright to your work so why waste time on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Read this article, it tells you how to make a PAK file. You store all the data in 1 or more PAK files. I would go with Graphics.EXT sound.EXT maps.EXT, etc. where EXT is your custom extension.

Unpacking them shouldn''t be too hard.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1991.asp

Toolmaker




-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:
Original post by ade-the-heat
For instance I want to have a file (with my own unique file ending) contaning all the files I created.

Stick ''em in a zip file, change the extension. Anything more complicated is a waste of time.

(I assume there a C++ libs out there for .zip archives somewhere, right...?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yeah you can just make it more difficult. it''s impossible to protect that stuff. it follows the same logic of trying to copy-protect anything that gets displayed to the user. basically if something will eventually be drawn or played to the user then they will be able to get the raw data. at the base level they could take screenshots or record from their speakers and just take your data. even more likely, it''s usually a simple task for some people to reverse engineer the file formats or your pak files or of your resourse packing. once one person does it, they can just post the unencrypted data and everyone else can just bypass the whole getting around your security part and download the raw data. until things like palladium or other hardware level DRM things come around (hopefully never) protecting data on a computer that needs to be decrypted by that same computer to use it in a game or whatever is a lost cause. even then it probably won''t be that hard. like i said you can always resort to taking pictures of your screen or putting a mic up to your speakers.

-me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think he asked for a solution on how to pack/hide the stuff,
not a million reasons on why it''s a waste of time. I think it
is totally up to him to decide on whats a waste of time and
whats not.

And most of you seem to think he wants to do it to protect it
from being stolen. Maybe he wants to hide it to prevent players
from having an easy access to spoilers of the game or something
in that way.

My advice would be the same as some other mentioned, learn how to
use .PAK files, or make the things you want to protect resources
that gets compiled into the exe. That''s the two most common
methods to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The only semi-complete way is to create your own formats for images, music, and every other resource, and even those will be reverse-engineered if the game is succesful enough (such as Blizzard''s MPQ format; it''s not officially documented, but well known).

Throw it in a zip file using zlib, or define your own PAK format. That will stop 99% of people from trying to get at the data. The other 1% will get it no matter what you do to stop them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:
Original post by ze_jackal
The only semi-complete way is to create your own formats for images, music, and every other resource, and even those will be reverse-engineered if the game is succesful enough (such as Blizzard''s MPQ format; it''s not officially documented, but well known).

Throw it in a zip file using zlib, or define your own PAK format. That will stop 99% of people from trying to get at the data. The other 1% will get it no matter what you do to stop them.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XOR the data, then save it with a different extension? Most people wouldn''t bother to get your images after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Two possibilities.

1'' Apply a filter to your data (all bytes + 1 with FF becoming 00, for instance) or something to that end that''s VERY simple (to reduce the conversion time when you load it; really, do you NEED a hyper-complex algorithm for this?) and convert it back before loading.

2'' Realize that users can still take screenshots or dump their sound buffer to disk, and that even if they do that you still won''t be affected by it at all. Avoid unecessary work and focus on making your game more entertaining and of better quality instead of trying to prevent n00bcoder_1337 from using your dancing german beerkeg in his tetris clone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don''t think anyone cares about getting their graphics/sound stolen, I think the idea here is that it looks a little unprofessional/ugly when you see the game directory filled with jpg''s and movie clips. I don''t think anyone really cares but I get a weird feeling that I''m using bitmaps and wav''s and it''s right there in the open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites