don't want user to see my jpegs,wav etc

Started by
15 comments, last by ade-the-heat 20 years ago
Hi Is there an easy to use way of packing all (or a lot) of my files so that the users can''t see my jpegs, .wavs, .midi and textures ? For instance I want to have a file (with my own unique file ending) contaning all the files I created. cheers Ade
Advertisement
look for pak files, i think there is a tut on this at flipcode.com
change the names around...
ie change .jpeg to .wav (like that they have the same data, but the user wont know that :-))
Don''t show it to the user then. Put them on a CD, put the CD in a safe, and the safe (in a concrete block) at the bottom of the ocean.

That oughta keep them pesky users away.
if your using VC++ you can add them as a resource so they are made into the exe. there is a tutorial on nehe.gamedev.net
If you''re trying to stop people stealing your data, I wouldn''t bother. How many times have you seen people steal models/audio/textures from finished games? It only happens for very popular games, and then only small hobby projects use them before they get told not to by a legal team when they are found out. Plus, if somebody wanted to steal it, they''ll find a way whether you pack them in files or not. Anyway, you still own the copyright to your work so why waste time on this?
Read this article, it tells you how to make a PAK file. You store all the data in 1 or more PAK files. I would go with Graphics.EXT sound.EXT maps.EXT, etc. where EXT is your custom extension.

Unpacking them shouldn''t be too hard.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1991.asp

Toolmaker

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

Seems like a waste of time and effort to me.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
You''re a waste of time and effort.
quote:Original post by ade-the-heat
For instance I want to have a file (with my own unique file ending) contaning all the files I created.

Stick ''em in a zip file, change the extension. Anything more complicated is a waste of time.

(I assume there a C++ libs out there for .zip archives somewhere, right...?)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement