Texture memory still hanging around

Started by
1 comment, last by Terren 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi.. Have come across a small problem, not sure whether its a driver bug or i''m not doing something I should be, but I have this demo that uses depth-shadow maps and have included the facility for the user to toggle the resolution of the shadow maps between varying sizes. Now, when this event occurs, I release the texture that is currently being used and create another one to replace it; which is fine, except after a few toggles and releasing/creating textures Direct3D reports that it has run out of video memory - I would have thought that releasing a texture also invalidates the memory on the card and can be overwritten - is this not so? Is there a way to manually flush unused memory from the card? Cheers for any info
Advertisement
Release() will release the texture - provided it''s not referenced anywhere else, as you know D3D Objects are reference counted.
Perhaps there is a reference you''ve left still hanging around, perhaps as a bound texture?

Another way to test might be to crank up the debug output level for Direct3D and look for memory leaks when your app shuts (do some simple testing so you can narrow it down). This might give you more info on your leaks, if you have any.

-Mezz
Ah yeah, of course - I went over that thinking i''d covered everything, but left a surface unreleased that was still referencing a texture..

Sorted now - cheers for the response

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement