Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angry

need feedback on script language

I''ve decided to write my own script-language. I''m still working in the design process and it will look much like Java. However I want my language to support operator overloading. And therefor needs some idea''s how this could look like. C++ handles it this way: SomeClass operator = (SomeClass); And the ideas I have looks like this: SomeClass assign(SomeClass); SomeClass add(SomeClass); SomeClass sub(SomeClass); SomeClass mul(SomeClass); SomeClass div(SomeClass); ie. registered method names, that will also work as operators, ie: SomeClass.assign(someOtherClass); <==> SomeClass = (someOtherClass); I hope you understand what I mean. However I would like to recieve some other ideas and some feedback on my idea. Thanks.

This is similar to the way Python does it.

Python''s operators map to ''__add__'', ''__div__'', ''__mul__'', etc.

Using a convention such as this is preferable because canonically, Collections (the supertype of all things that store arbitrary numbers of other objects) have a method called ''add'' that inserts or appends an item to a collection.

I really suggest you allow operator overloading at least as well as unrealscript does. In it, you can define your own operators, what they act on, their precedence, etc. I''d be very nice if C++ supported such a thing.
To see how unrealscript handles it: tutorial