Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goober King

Multi Image files

Goober King    553
So I''ve opened an image file, read it, and stuffed it into memory. But lets say instead of a texture image I need it to be an ass load of images I need to make individual textures from, and the image would need to be way beyond any normal texture size. I imagine it these pages will be several megs in size. So I''m guessing I cant just make a large texture and show parts of the image I need. So is that where glTexSubImage2D come into play? Or am I way of on how this is done.

Goober King    553
Ok I figured it out. There is no OGL command for it as near I can tell. You just have to manualy copy the section you want and then use the copy of raw data to create the texture. I figured there would be some grand command for this sort of thing but I guess not. I prefer this anyway. Like old school DOS blitting or something.

"Well, when you''re loading in a texture, you have to be careful that it isn''t bigger than the cards max. texture size (which is 4096x4096, generally)"

I didn''t want to ever make an actual texture out of the image data. There was no need to have it try and stuff the source image in to video memory taking up space. Nor did I want to deal with card limmitations. This way I have as much room as there is system memory. Not that 4096x4096 isn''t big enough.