Avenger 3D Demo (15 levels) Released.

Started by
8 comments, last by VladR 20 years ago
So, after quite a long period of time, we have moved forward with our Avenger game and today I have uploaded new demo with 15 levels. You can download it here. Screenshots can be found here . They have the old fog system though, but I`ll grab some new screenshots (with better fog) soon. It`s a 3D action-puzzle game taking place at Castle full of obstacles, traps and multiple doors connected to same levers. You must get through all these obstacles to get the bomb and explode the Exit wall to proceed to next level. There are also many enemies blocking your way which you can`t shoot, but they can shoot you. You have to trap them to move forward. Let me know what you think of it. Thanks VladR Avenger 3D game (Last update MAR-23) [edited by - VladR on March 23, 2004 12:36:13 PM]

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Advertisement
How do you unpack the .ace file?
quote:Original post by SDyer
How do you unpack the .ace file?

Use Winace
edit: It also appears ZipGenius can handle ACE's

[edited by - nonpop on March 25, 2004 3:00:22 PM]
I''d say that''s great work! Looks and sounds good (the atmosphere is successful), the game is easy to play and quite interesting.

Suggestions for improvements (mostly fine-tuning):
- The flickering of the torches and the exit wall is a bit too strong; it''s annoying. Hmm... are they event meant to be flickering or has it something to do with interfering textures?
- The font could be clearer. I had to try every key on the keyboard to figure out the action keys. It''s not that bad in low-res mode, though
- BUG: Alt-Tabbing out of the game and back caused an access violation
- Using barrels as way-blockers might be a bit too artificial (though I''ve seen this in other games, too)
Nice job. As nonpop said, you have achieved a nice atmosphere.

Here''s what happened to me:
- Level 1, no problem
- Level 2, collected the pieces, but can''t get to the bomb on the other side of the wall. Saw what looked like a switch, but no key seemed to activate it. Eventually mashed the keyboard and the program died with the Microsoft send-error-or-don''t dialog box.

I agree with nopop - the text needs to contrast more with the background. It doesn''t stand out well and more difficult to read than it should be.

There are some seam errors - moving left and right opened and closed gaps between the surrounding hills and the stone foundation of the level.

The player control is ok, but when I stood next to a wall I couldn''t turn to face it. I had to walk away and re-approach.

Tell me how to get past level 2 and I''ll play more.
Thanks for positive feedback, I appreciate it very much after so much hard work to make this engine/game from scratch.

- font, I`m alrady on a search for some different font. Probably I`ll make the text backround non-transparent to make it more readable.

- Alt-tabbing hasn`t been programmed yet, but it`s quite high on my to-do list - definitely before final release.

- Seam errors, yeah, those suck, though they`re visible mainly in first levels that are small, later you`ll hardly get that near to walls to see that, although it is bad as first impression, so i must think sth out how to correct it

- exit wall flickering - going to slow it down, it surely flickers too fast, torches however shall stay how they are

As for Controls - you move around with Arrow keys, "X" is action button and "P" puts bomb down near the exit wall. F4 gives you current fps.

quote:Tell me how to get past level 2 and I''ll play more.
There is lever on the wall on right side of screen, Approach it, press key "X" and go through the risen bars.

You can register as BetaTester and receive the FREE copy of the game when the game is finished. Go register here.

VladR
Avenger 3D game (Last update MAR-23)

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Good job. Here is my overview:

Positive points

-The atmosphere. The music and the lighting/texturing create a great atmosphere.
-The models.
-The storyline (more on this in -ve points) and spoken narrative (also creates a great atmosphere).

Negative points

-Movement. I have an Athlon AMD 2400XP but only a 32mb graphics card. Cursor key movement is very slow, and the stepping sound is a little after the actual movement. I also had some problems with the cursor keys in the main menu, are you doing any pre-calculations when the cursor highlights these?

-Font. The font needs to be a little more readable (I thought the action key was "H" or "K") and a little more contrasting to the background (or have a solid opaque background), especially when telling the initial story.

-Storyline. It''s a little much to read, and people are eager to start playing. Perhaps you could give it in bitesize chunks, shorten it, or alternatively show some front-end art as the story is being told, to give the reader something to keep their attention.

Overall though, excellent. The main problem is movement I''d say, and the main highlight of the game is the atmosphere.
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
I haven''t tested the game yet (shall later), but I think you should work some more on the homepage. The game look great but when I first entered the page I thought it was a remake of the old ASCII game castle
I`m glad you liked the atmosphere. It took much time to create it.

Well, as for the storyline, it was added as one of last things because some previewers gave me negative points because of no story. So it`s there to be there. It has eaten a lot of time anyway to fit it there. Besides nobody reads stories in logical-action games, so you`ll click it off anyway. But it`s there at least.

As for the webpage, well, I don`t have time/knowledge for creation of new webpage, so it boils down to money for hiring some webmaster. Besides, it won`t be distributed from my site, but from distributor`s one (though there is still none at present).

VladR
Avenger 3D game (Last update MAR-23)

Awesome job so far. Excellent job making the atmosphere. Keep up the good work.
Poetry, Writings, Music, and Art of the dark mind. ofthefallen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement