Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

naqvi

Making a 3D engine from scratch

Me and a friend of mine have decided to make a working 3D engine for our final university project. We are new in this field. However, we are having some trouble which I hope someone out there can help us with: 1) How do we start 2) We have got only 3 months to complete it. is this time enough. 3) Which library would be better for us (DirectX or OpenGL). as we need to make a 3D model in that 3D engine with some basic functionalities like walking, jumping and punching and a sound is also required for all these functions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! --- http://www.shadionline.tk ---

Three months is adequate time for a demo... not a real engine.

IMHO, a precursor to being able to write a good engine is that youve written a decent number of games. The engine then becomes an abstraction of most of the features you commonly use - such as the memory manager, classes to load and display meshes, a rendering subsystem etc.

Writing an engine without having written a basic game is doomed to fail (unless youre really f***ing good), because you inevitably do not understand what needs to go in an engine, and which features are game-specific.

However, a most excellent article on Game Engines may help you out if youre willing to take the trouble of making an Engine anyways:

Enginuity Part 1

Im too lazy to post links to the remaining 4 articles... but profile ''superpig'', and scroll down to ''Contributions to the Site'', and you can get access to them.

Contrary to the above, I believe if you work really hard you can do it (a simple engine - no shaders etc) three months. Start by deciding what API you want to use - personally I prefer Direct X, but if you want to run the game on other OS''s OpenGL is your only real choice. Then learn the API - get tutorials - Direct X has some very good ones with the SDK.

Good Luck