Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Different version of Managed DX dlls. Where to get the latest?

This topic is 5018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I actually am not having the probelm myself. The programs I write on my machine run fine, and other developers seem to be able to run them correctly as well. However, when I try to get artists to run my demos, they always have linker problems. I told them to search for *DirectX.dll and they would always get the .dll in the v9.00.0900 folder. As I'm aware, this is the older, buggy version of MDX, and there is a newer version. I have both the .0900 and the v9.00.1126. So my question is which download should I tell them to get so that they will have the .1126 versions of DX installed. I know they are the latest versions, so telling me "the latest ones." won't help out much. They're artists, so we need to give them a little more explicit instruction. Looking at the microsoft website is a little confusing, as there are tons of DX 9 downloads, and I'm not sure which is the appropriate one. Anyone know which exact file I should have them install? Thanks, --Vic-- [edited by - Roof Top Pew Wee on March 23, 2004 12:48:57 PM]

for the sdk:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9216652f-51e0-402e-b7b5-feb68d00f298&languageid=f49e8428-7071-4979-8a67-3cffcb0c2524&displaylang=en

for the runtimes:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a6dee0db-dcce-43ea-87bb-7c7e1fd1eaa2&languageid=f49e8428-7071-4979-8a67-3cffcb0c2524&displaylang=en

once they have these installed your application should automaticaly run with the latest version.

note: the old versions will still be on their machines,
if after installing these new versions it still does not use the right ones, uninstall the old ones & reinstall the new ones

I think the summer update managed directx installer includes both versions, to support all managed directx apps, made with either version. This is how it should be, .NET has proper versioning without using kludges like using IDIRECTXDEVICE8 to force using DX 8.