Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

creating good effects

This topic is 5012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody, I''m currently doing the effects for my game & am using point Vertices & billboarding, its looking ok..... but oks not good enough! I need to learn more about blending & lighting techniques, am I right in thinking this knowledge will allow me to render funkier effects? If so any help/resources would be really helpful. If not how do professional games do it?

Your question is much too general. Of course more knowledge of blending and lighting techniques will help. But you have to narrow down what kind of effects you want. Asking for resources on "funkier effects" won''t get you many responses.

What kind of effects are you trying to do. Are you doing some kind of smoke/rain/fire/exhaust stuff? Are you trying to do reflective water? Are you trying to render realistic clouds?

If you ask about specific techniques, the people on the board will be able to help you with them or point you to some resources out there.

neneboricua

Chapter 20 "Explosions" of the book Special Effects Game Programming covers exactly that. The main idea is that for most explosions you can use a series of billboards with different textures alpha blended together. You would have a number of textures that describe the different frames of your explosion and alpha blend them together.

Shockwaves are similar and are also covered in the chapter of the book I mentioned. You need to use a large quad with a shockwave texture on it. Then you scale this quad to make it look like the shockwave is expanding. The only thing you need to be carefull with is that scaling the quad directly will make the width of the shockwave larger as well (not what you want).

This is a general special effects question and doesn''t really have anything to do with DirectX. This topic has been discussed many times in the Graphics Programming & Theory forum. You may want to do a search in there. I''m sure you''ll find tons of info on this.

neneboricua