Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moonwalka

Java vs C++ & IRC too!

How hard is Java to pick up if one already is fluent in C++, relative to the difficulty in acquiring fluency to C++? If I am looking to just make neat server-side apps. is it worth learning Java as opposed to trying to fudge-factor it with a C++ app.? I read that one (inexpensive) alternative to making a java-based chat room program was to simply setup and maintain an IRC channel. Is there a way to interface an IRC channel with a java or C++ app. such that IRC clients and web visitors alike can be using the same channel/application?

Java: Very easy from c++ as it is more or less a subset (ignoring libraries).

As far as using an IRC server backend for a Java chat client - yes, that is an eminently sensible thing to do. Loads of people do it.

Then visitors who just pop in occasionally can use the applet, but regulars will probably want to use a proper IRC client (which will provide more functionality and a better user interface typically)

Mark

learning java if you already know c++ well takes about a day. the syntax is largely the same and java gets rid of all the "hard" stuff like memory management, pointers and working with char*'s. java's documentation is also amazing http://java.sun.com

-me

[edited by - Palidine on March 23, 2004 4:06:41 PM]

makr - thanks, but how would I integrate the java code in with the IRC channel? Would I need to pickup one of those dang RFC docs and learn the intracacies of IRC I/O network code? Other solutions??

quote:
Original post by Moonwalka
...how would I integrate the java code in with the IRC channel? Would I need to pickup one of those dang RFC docs and learn the intracacies of IRC I/O network code?
You don''t need to. Heck, you don''t need to write the Java IRC applet; I''m sure you can find a free one on the ''net, and if you can''t then you can probably find a Java networking library with an IRC component. In fact...

30 seconds typing "Java IRC lib" into Google yielded this. "Java IRC applet" yielded several good links as well.

Remember kids, "reuse is good."