Poly count in FPS

Started by
6 comments, last by Squirell 20 years, 1 month ago
Whats the average triangle count for a first person shooter type game? And while im at it whats the average frame rate?
Advertisement
Quake 1, Half-Life and Unreal tournament aimed for 300-500 max at any time (for the scene, meshes for the player/opponents render more quickly). Since then the number has increased a lot and I think Unreal Tournament 2004 can have 20.000-50.000 per frame without problems.
Half-Life had an ass load more than 500 didn''t it?
At a high detail, decent looking part of an empty level, it hit about 1200 world poly''s, which didn''t take into account entity poly''s. Any action based areas were as low as 400, but not normally much higher than 600.
UT2003 levels can easily have over 100,000 visible polys at very good framerates. If level designers get sloppy, 200,000 polys still doesn''t phase it.
Most engines developed for curent and future HW have 100k or more tris per on screen (used by level, entity, specialFX,..).

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
This brings back memories of hardware announcements (GPUs, consoles) which would boast something like "1.5 million textured tris per second!"
hell yeah! my good old (very crappy, really) G200, that I still have rusting slowly somewhere...

Quake3 is very low poly by todays standards (especially on my config. minimum settings, clutter-free, to gain a more competitive edge). Runs at something silly like 400 fps, but capped to 125.

Now, FarCry or UT2004, that's another story. well into 100,000 polys. But I still remember a while back where we were aiming at 50,000 polys at 30 fps on a TNT2 pro. So I can imagine nowadays, they should shift a lot more than that and still have loads of spare headroom. However, the textures get a lot bigger, there are shaders, more complex lighting... It's not just polys, but what you do with it (Doom3, not that high poly).

[edited by - oliii on March 24, 2004 4:00:20 AM]

Everything is better with Metal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement