• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silly_con

Reflect 2D vector from a line

This topic is 5204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Having a vector a, and a line (or other vector), there is a direct method to reflect the vector a from the line axis ? I know that can make this by movin line to origin, rotating line to align it to an coord axis Y and reflecting by Y, and later do the steps backwards.

Advertisement
rewrite your vector a as a sum of two vectors a = ap + ao.

ap is parallel to the 2nd vector b (line) : ap = x*b. You´ll most probably (=best) have to use the dot product a*b to find x.

ao is orthogonal to b. Best obtained by ao = a - ap.

For the reflected vector a'': a'' = ap - ao.
In words: The parallel part of a remains unchanged (that´s what´ll happen if you "reflect" your line on itself, no?) while the orthogonal part changes it´s direction.

Sadly, you didn´t explicitely say how you´d "reflect" ("to mirror" might fit in better) your vector on the Y-Axis but above is most probably what you meant.

btw.: If you want to "reflect" a vector on a line that doesn´t pass through the origin, then I don´t even know what you want to do (mirroring a point, perhaps?).

I thing I may have missunderstood your question:

Vector2D Reflection(Vector2D vec, Vector2D lp1, Vector2D lp2)
{
Vector2D normal;
normal.x = lp2.x-lp1.x;
normal.y = lp2.y-lp1.y;
float temp = normal.x;
normal.x = -normal.y;
normal.y = temp;
normal.Normalize();

float dot2 = 2 * vec.Dot(normal);
vec.x-=dot2*normal.x;
vec.y-=dot2*normal.y;

return vec;
}

That may or may not help depending on what you are looking for...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!