Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IncomT-65

Reflection

IncomT-65    122
I want to make reflections from a skybox onto the texture of a carmesh. Are there ays to do this without vertexshaders or pixelshaders, and if so possibly some tutorial I can study to learn this? I have heard that possibly the cubemap example in dx8 isn''t using vertexshaders but I can''t see m to get a hold of that example. I am not even sure if that is the case. Help in the way of a code example or a link to a tutorial is very much appreciated.

circlesoft    1178
Although there are proabably ways out there to do it without shaders, why can''t you just use them? If hardware limitation is the issue, I thought that even older hardware had some form of an early vertex/pixel shader. Maybe I''m wrong, though

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

Painless    126
Read the DX documentation, the parts "Cubic environment mapping" etc pretty much describe all of it. (And you don''t necessarily need vertex shaders, just automatic texture coordinate generation)

Jerry Velders    122
quote:
Original post by Painless
(And you don''t necessarily need vertex shaders, just automatic texture coordinate generation)

I stumbled onto this while trying to make textures work .. a really cheap (computationally) way to make things ''reflect'' a texture ..

pD3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX,D3DTSS_TCI_CAMERASPACEREFLECTIONVECTOR|1);