Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neoshaman

binary dm is on the run

Neoshaman    180
a little disgression to introduce there is a novel which was release recently (Chloé Delaume - Corpus Simsi Project http://www.fluctuat.net/article.php3?id_article=1129 article in french sorry ) the author was introduce to video games with the sim just after she had break with his boy friends and was in a difficult phase in his life. She decide to create a character who would be the succesful wonderwoman that she had failed to be in the real life, but's its fantasy end soon when his character became despress and cry all the day reflecting her situation is the real life, that what the begin of a long fascination towards the game... end disgression if she was creating her story this would not have been happen because the game would be all about her fantasy... actually the story emerge from the experiance of the game rather than the game tell it or she tell it, make even more deep and personnal than every authored story some equivalent tales already happen here and here in many game, i have in the deep choice thread about a story which takes place in animal crossing then what's we learn about this??? psychologist say that a story is the way we make sense of reality, in some kind we don't create story but relate something in our mind encode through story i'm working on a binary dm, it was for fun at the beginning since i was in the camp of those which think that story and game are opposite (and still think this) but the challenge was too great that i have to take the bait (just like when walking on the moon was only a dream) in the theory i develop around interactive story, which build more with science like linguistic, psychology and neurology than theory of writing (why rather than how), i consider story like an emotional demonstration with emotional argument around a theme were a conflict (problem) lay and encode in a particular subject in one of my earlier post (with the crappy english ) i have state that every game produce story but the problem lie in making interesting story, since story would be about drama, we have to build the game upon a dramatic structure, all the problem was HOW to do this i have also state by intuition, that the "story" would have to be the opponent on the player rather than waiting passively the player came to it, now i can say according to everything i have said above that actually the system has to ARGUE back to the player. considering that all action of the player is the telling, the system has to listen and to "argue back" (take some action) according to the belief built in the design, i think jhin alexander (master )has provide a good example of this with the game september 12th take an example, that is ofthen take in this forum, the rumored GTAIII: the theme of the game is CRIME then all action is consistant to this theme, but the game is set SPATIALLY (focus on the state), the game don't argue back, for this the theme would have to be set TEMPORALLY spatial design tend to be sandbox and don't have goal to focus on, while temporal game has goal but you are more constrain in the space, this is why spatial game are cut in ZONE when temporal game is cut in level or stage a way to improve the design of gta is to put a temporal set of argument towards crime, for example if we spawn two autonomous character that have their own motivation in the game and could influance things back, one would be the die hard crime argument (evil) while the other would be the "good" bias argument, put the player beetween the two influance and you have a system were the player argument (action) would force one or the other listener to argue back, then creating a dramatic tension from any action taken. the game gain a layer of deepness because it's about a relationship WITH something rather than simply wandering meaninglessly, the player is not left alone temporal design (game that argue back) this is the way to save open game from dullness! any comment??? EDIT: oups it seems that the thread i'm refering back is on igda igda is cool to find the WHY while wandering on gamedev is cool for the HOW, different philosophy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> be good be evil but do it WELL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> [edited by - neoshaman on March 23, 2004 8:19:19 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
hmmm, ''games that argue back'' is that like Black & White which used advisors (a devil and an angel) to suggest different ways you could complete the sub-quests.

Neoshaman    180
exactly by the angel and the devil would also take action according to yours in the world and with you, and would have their own goal (the angel would battle for more good, and the devil would try to detract anything) this involving the player in a never ending story until some dead end arise (end of the world)

the quality is that the player made is own opinion and act accordingly, no use of artificial alignement system, each faction will hold is own representation of the player by testing his action and give the some value (he act good, he act bad)

actually it''s like a story raising, the difference with casual simulation is that the force are choose in a dramatical way, we would use traditional story classification to choose the action and psychology of agent, in fact i have a more detail theory about binary dm, but''s the most basic to implement

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>