Rpg game world toughts

Started by
17 comments, last by Coz 20 years ago
Necromage, for shame! You''ve been listening to the wrong ideas of good and evil! Good loves to fight evil, because to destroy evil is to serve Justice. C.S. Lewis wrote a book called Perelandra, and in it a human gets into a fistfight with a demon, possibly Satan, though it''s not clear. He feels a feeling he''s never had before, and he describes it as pure, righteous hatred. Hatred that isn''t mitigated by the fear of harming a living thing, or by the risk of doing something wrong, but hatred of something that is and shouldn''t be. So he flips out and kicks the shit out of the demon, which is in the body of his dead colleague. It''s aneat scene, and my memory doesn''t do it justice here, but Lewis is pretty coherent about the whole thing.

So yeah, good will fight. Hippies won''t fight, and pacifists won''t fight, but that''s not because they''re good; that''s because they''re idiots. Violence is a means, and only ends can be good or evil.

This argument is not flawless, but I''m not interested in writing a thesis on it. So, for the sake of this argument assume that I''m talking about intentionality and justice, without collateral damage or any of the other convolusions that arise in the application of such ideas.
Advertisement
Thanks, just tought something that was missing; good would have forces in all dimensions(even hell using a cover) as well as evil.
quote:Original post by NecroMage
There is a major flaw with this entire good vs. evil conflict idea. The problem is that good CANNOT fight evil. It is not in the nature of good to fight. A totally pure good being (which is totally impossible, but let''s go on a limb here) will not even be able to defend itself properly because it wouldn''t be right. If evil fights good, it will most certainly and inevitably win. Neutral or slightly good beings can defend the greater good from evil, which is how the real world works. It''s not really ying-yang, not a true balance. There is overall less evil than good because otherwise evil would prevail.

Just my rant on the world. By the way, I WAS talking about real life; games CAN bend the rules a little, but too much results in a crappy game.

Alright, since I TECHNICALLY didn''t necro this topic, I guess I''ll respond...

I don''t think that good would fight physically against evil...sorry Iron Chef, for once I don''t agree with you. Instead, I think that "Good" would try to influence the people between the levels of 2 and 6 so that they would be good, which would take potential "Evil" warriors away.

But...then again...that raises the question of who decides what people are promoted/demoted and when...which would make for a damned good end-game objective, IMO.

Imagine...spend the whole game finding out the real motives of levels 1 and 7 (Heaven and Hell), traversing all the different dimensions by your actions, only to be given the option of becoming more powerful than either side and ascending to an "8th Dimension" (echo effect) by defeating the being that decides the fate of everyone else (read: God).

Also, by "real motives", I meant to hint that each side planned to defeat the other to gain enough power to rise to power...and, although I have yet to play the game through, this idea''s inspired by what I''ve read about Xenogears (I''ve read that

**POSSIBLE COULD-BE MAYBE SPOILERS IF YOU KEEP READING AND STILL HAVEN''T PLAYED THE GAME BUT I''M NOT EVEN SURE BECAUSE I HAVEN''T BEATEN IT SO...WHATEVER**

it was about humans that met God and learned that he had turned his back on them, driving them to create big-ass fighting machines to defeat him and by training people to control them [Fei]...but correct me if I''m wrong).

But, you know...that sorta would blow the idea above away (non-violent approach by "Good"), because controlling the life-death process is borderline evil...so...yeah.

Sorry if any part of this was incomprehensible, my ability to express ideas is pretty limited ATM.

L8r

"TV IS bad Meatwad...but we f***in need it"

If you''re a girl under the age of 12, and you''re high on marijuana...don''t ride your bike. -TRUTH
Things change.
why couldn''t good fight evil? is the entire purpose of good to fight evil?

in the christian mythology, for example, god has angels that kick evil''s ass. god kicked satan''s ass and sent him to hell. when the world ends, jesus will come back and kick everyone''s ass.

as someone said earlier, good does not mean hippy.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Not every saint is a martyr. Maybe you could require good players to reach level 7 and get a flaming sword of justice before they can fight, so that people born in lower realms have to pray for deliverance. You get to level 7, and you get your wings, your harp, and your sword of light, and then you get to return to one of the lower striations as a defender of the faithful. An angel would be worth a hundred demons and a thousand mere mortals, but they''d have to contend with underhanded tactics and treachery, besides not really ever being fast enough to be everywhere at once.

It would be like being Superman. He can hear every plane that''s in trouble, he learns about every earthquake and bombing, but what happens when there''s a passenger plane going down with 300 people on it near New Delhi and another one with 250 people on it crashing in Quebec? He has to decide.

Now I''m off on a total tangent. Nevermind.
Okay, time to explain something else.

The main character is supposed to have blood from a race derived from humans(they are supposed to be weak but it was used for the looks mainly) and beasts(just think about something like a demonical ape, it's a type of beast I created, not even named it yet), that was basicly evil, and was created in hell as the ultimate weapon to defeat heaven, but being as evil as it is it couldn't be controlled, and after joining forces(the only time they have) evil and good and many races together tought they had destroyed it all, but there are human beings that have blood from the evil race.

The main character has a lot of that blood from the evil race, compared to the other ones that have that blood, about 1/4 of his genes come from it. But the main character was raised in a somewhat happy and pacific enviroment. He is supposed to start the game as an late teen and in the end he is a young adult. He's almost naive and coward at first.

Hell wants to get him on his side to gain an advantage, but the main character refuses to act totally evil, tought he does consider the offer. Heaven doesn't wants him because of the blood he carries, but the main character does so many good things it would be unfair to refuse his entry to heaven, but heaven still wants to prevent hell to convince him to go to the evil's side.

And the player isn't supposed to become strong enough to beat evil or good totally. He might be able to fight the strongest of both, and if he's the strongest he can get in the game and has a lot of luck he might be able to win a battle ocasionally but not the war.

I'm planning to let the player to act as a superman and save many people and tought I'm thinking about allowing the posibility of saving them all but I want to make it extremely hard.

And also, I don't want to make the game's objective to save the world or beat evil. The main character hates the evilness inside him because it risks his loved ones and wants to get rid of it so he is looking for someone who can help him. Actually that's only part of it, but the premise is always that he wants to keep his loved ones from harm, not like he's a real goodie goodie that has to help everyone.

*Also, if you find a typo please spare me, my input hardware(keyboard) is messy :S and that doesn't means that if I found a typo I didn't fixed it, I looked for them but I don't know if I missed any.

[edited by - Coz on April 1, 2004 8:26:40 AM]
Okay... first off... if you can''t spell words correctly, and you can''t construct a grammatically correct sentence, then don''t post anything in a forum.

Secondly, I don''t see why you would want to do this, let alone what purpose it would serve or why it would be interesting.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Okay... first off... if you can''t spell words correctly, and you can''t construct a grammatically correct sentence, then don''t post anything in a forum.

while worrying about being a grammar nazi, you forgot to check if the poster''s native language was english, and ended up looking like a jackass because of it. good thing you posted as an AC (anonymous coward).
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
''Least it wasn''t me, eh?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement