Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Input and Linux...

This topic is 5016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all you leet programmers , I''m using Kylix for Linux right now, and I was using Delphi for Windoze, but Linux kicks Windoze butt!! (btw, yes, I know I should be using C, but I''m not a real big fan of case sensitive languages, I prefer my own way of printing out a function name lol), anyway, I''ve been writing a game engine for windows, and now porting it over to linux (which has been pretty easy since I was using opengl, and some basic timing functions, which were easy to port using Libc), and it''s pretty powerful so far for a 2D game engine, anyhoo, down to the question: I have been using DirectInput for Windows, and was wondering if there was a way to directly access input (keyboard, mouse, +more?) in Linux. Right now I''m relying on X events, which isn''t so bad, so if there''s not a good enough way then I''ll just stick with the events. And please, no SDL suggestions, I am working directly with X and such, and I like to work directly with the os.. thanks!

quote:
Original post by VertexNormal
Yeah, XLib is the way to go. Incidentally, SDL input handling for Linux is just a thin wrapper over Xlib (I know, I know, you didn''t want to hear it.) So is the input handling for GLFW.

i donno if you thought i like sdl... i do not... but i don care cause i use a modularity graphic system for my projects anyways... i hate choosing a fixed way of dealing with matters... especially in the todays vast pc market.