• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aboeing

why 8 bits in a 'byte'?

This topic is 5349 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know why there are 8 bits in a ''byte''? From my understanding, historically, punch-card''s had 64 possible representations (6 bits) (I might be horribly wrong), and the ASCII table had 128 characters (7 bits) originally, so why did the world seem to settle on 8 bit bytes? (read: why did everyone make computers with 8 bit register sizes?) Why not 7,9,10 or more?

Advertisement
I''m not sure, but maybe it was because 8 is a power of 2 (2^3).
Perhaps the same reason why they made a kilobyte 1024 bytes (2^10) instead of 1000.

Ascii was 7 data bits, 1 parity bit. Then people realised you could use the 8th bit as a sign bit and have ''extended ascii'' to make DOS programs look less crap. Ooooh oooh. Then the whole power-of-two thing took over, although it''s still not universal - the Ubicom SX family of microcontrollers has 12-bit words, but each bit is individually addressable so technically each bit is a byte.

Teh Googol Knoez All! That''s gotta be worth caek.

The very first microprocessors which appeared mostly in calculators used 4-bit chunks called ''nibbles''. The change from that to 8-bit ''bytes'' was a natural progression.

quote:
Original post by aboeing
Does anyone know why there are 8 bits in a ''byte''?

...because the person who invented computers lost his thumbs in the war.

sorry

Seeing as computers are based upon the binary number system storing ASCII codes in a 7-bit variable makes no sense as 7 is not a power of 2 so the logical step was to use 8 bits to store ASCII characters since 8 is a power of 2.

quote:
Original post by pinacolada
Now I have a question- why''d they spell it "byte" instead of "bite"?

Wiki says: "The word was coined by mutating the word bite so it would not be accidentally misspelled as bit."

I like pie.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!