Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

realtime video capture

This topic is 5012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i want to get frames of from a video/tv capture card and ''analies'' it in real time. any body know how i can get the video frames without useing some kind of DirectShow COM stuff??? jono

all i can find is Microsoft DirectX DirectShow and AVICap.

DirectX DirectShow use COM objects which i can hardly ever get to work and i dont have the DirectX SDK so no COM interface specs for DirectShow or something? lots of error from the example code.

AVICap is nice and simple but requires a window to be created to display the input. i need my program to run as a service when nobody is loged on to the computer. aka no windows.

Use DirectShow or VFW. VFW is much easier, but much slower (I never got more than about 10fps), although DirectShow isn''t too painful - I''ve got a class you can use if you don''t want to spend the time making your own.

that would be great! can you sent it to ->email_removed<-

any pointers on how to get DirectShow to work would be good :)

jono

[Edited by - JonoX on October 11, 2004 1:30:09 AM]

hi
there are two ways for this : VFW and DirectShow, i prefer DSHOW while it is faster and gives more control over the stream besides that VFW is an outdated technology and many new capture device producers do not support VFW drivers so the only way for these cases is to use DSHOW.

BTW if you like to use VFW and the AVICap :
inorder to not to show any window on screen, create the capturing window in nonvisible style , provide a frame callback function and pass it to VFW so when a frame is captured from card , the data whitin that frame can be accessed via the pointer in your callback function...

Use DirectShow instead, i''ve played too much with video capturing