• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xelanoimis

Visual C++ 6.0 - static member initialization problem

This topic is 5205 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I have implemented a system of replicators for some classes in Visual C++ 6.0 but some of the static replicators do not get initialized depending on the .cpp where I place them. In .h I declare a static member for the replicator (using a #define): class cMyClass { static cRep m_rep_cMyClass; ... } where class cRep { ... int index; ... } Then in .cpp I implement it with a #define that on short do like this: cMyClass::m_rep_cMyClass = { ..., cReplicators::Add( &cMyClass::m_rep_cMyClass ),...} cReplicators keeps a static list with pointers to the replicators from each class that was registered. As I declare more classes, I expect them to have theirs replicators in the replicators list. The problem appear in some .cpp where the execution of code ( before calling the main() function ) doesn''t seems to reach. I have test it by placing a breakpoint in cReplicators::Add and look for each class that I want to be registered. When I place the implementation in other .cpp they do registered fine! I also tested with a simple global int like this: int g_global = GlobalFuncion(); and in the .cpp with the problem the execution doesn''t reach GlobalFunction(). Is there a reason for Visual C to skip my initialization of static members ? Is there a problem with some order of executing the code mefore calling the main() ? Please help! Thank you!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Do you initialise your static member somewhere ?
that :
class cMyClass
{
static cRep m_rep_cMyClass;
}
is just a declaration...

hope it helps

Yes, I do initialize it in a .cpp
That is the problem!
It seems that the initialization code doesn''t get executed for some .cpp I place it in.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Oopps...

I misread your message, and yes, the definition is done...

Another try :
Is the cpp causing problem in a different lib ?
VC seems to "optimise" some vars a little too agressively in these cases.

The replicators and the classes I expect to registers are all in the same lib. This lib is used in a main application where I try to create classes using those replicators.
However since the declarations and implementation of the replicators are in the same lib I don''t know why some work and some not.
More exactly, I have declarations in
in cMyClass1.h, cMyClass2.h, etc
and inplementations in cMyClass1.cpp, cMyClass2.cpp, etc
When this failed for some replicators, I''ve moved the implementations in another cpp cMyClasses.cpp

It might be a problem of Visual C++ optimization...
Do you know a way to force it? Maybe if I use them somewere explicite. Now, they are all declared and implemented using defines and I use them throught functions from the replicator manager.

Is cReplicators static? And if so are you depending on it to be constructed before your cRep classes?

They are all static and I don''t depend on them, I just add pointers in a static array from cReplicators.

However I think it might be a sort of optimization or a bug from visual C, because I used the replicator in my main project (not in the lib where it was declared and initialized) and it worked.
I think it was skipped by Visual C++ for some reason.
All I did to fix it was a simple global int gg = cMyClass::m_rep_cMyClass.idx and Visual C got the idea that I need that static
And I say it might be a bug or something, because I was on debug with no compiler optimizations.
Thank you for helping me on this forum!

many compilers have this ''bug''. (
one way around it, if you want a static member in a class is:

class Foo {
int bar() {
static int m_bar;
return m_bar;
}
}

so then you refer to Foo::bar() when you want to get the static member variable, and this will ensure that it is created.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!