Which book?

Started by
3 comments, last by uutee 20 years ago
Hi, I''ve been thinking about buying a book on physics for games. I''ve seen two somewhat popular books: 1.) Physics for game developers (David M. Bourg) 2.) Game physics (by Dave Eberly) What do you think are the pros and cons of these books? - Mikko
Advertisement
I only own 1) and it''s terrible. I haven''t read 2) yet, but I have read "3D Game Engine Design" by Eberly, and I liked it a lot, so I have some hope that 2) will be better than 1).

>>I only own 1) and it''s terrible.

Can you elaborate a bit on that?

I''ve only seen the table of contents of each book. The only good thing about 1.) seems to be (over 2.) is that it has chapters on practical physical objects (cars,ships,planes) whereas 2.) has not.

- Mikko
I also only own the first, I won''t say it is terrible but it is far from perfect.

The book seems to use a lot of non-standard unit in its calculation , certain derivation (including going from 2d to 3d) is not thoroughly explain (I had to go into the source code to find out) and some horrible codes (goto in a C++!).

There also appears to be some errors (I think so anyway), a particular one that I noticed as I tried to implement it, is for impulse based collision and whether the friction should be proportional to the tangential impulse or the normal impulse. The book seems to think it should be normal impulse (this is gives very odd behaviours).
Just because it is not nice, doesn''t mean it is not miraculous.
We have "Game Physics" at work. It was definitely work the purchase.
Good book, good math, no BS.
Act of War - EugenSystems/Atari

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement