Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PIX and XACT for PC

This topic is 5011 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you go to the gamedev main page, go to GDC 2004 coverage, then halfway through day 2 is a link to MS''s GDC presentation .pdfs. One of them shows PIX for PC, so it seems like it really will be here this summer, So since MS is talking about it, I guess describing PIX won''t violate NDA.

For those who don''t know what pix is, imagine a log of all API calls, a callstack on each log entry, and containing CPU and GPU profiling information. You''ll see how long things take on the card, and how long they take in the API, where any stalls occur, etc.

You can step through the log of API calls, and see the back buffer get drawn, step by step. Examine the details of any call, such as which textures are currently loaded, what shaders are loaded, how many triangles of a call pass culling, and how many pixels are actually affected by a call, what fillrate you achieved on a particular call, and more.

Also, click on any pixel in the display and get a complete history of that pixel. Every draw call, shader, texture, etc that was involved in making that pixel the color that is is.

How *much* of the functionality is in PC version, I don''t know, but it''s a great tool which you should be excited to get your hands on.

awsome stuff... its time the graphics pipeline gets a debugger...

any links to docs showing the internals of PIX?

Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it!
[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
                          Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id

Get yourself on the DirectX9 summer update 2004 beta and you''ll be playing with PIX for Windows now.
If you''re on the DX9 mailing list the address is at the bottom of every mailing. It''s open to all developers I think, I''m just a student (albeit on work experience at a games company) and I''m on it

-Mezz

quote:
Original post by lexor
Mezz - Where did you find the signup for DirectX9 summer update 2004 beta. I can''t find it anywhere on the MS/MSDN site.

Thanks

here you go:
http://discuss.microsoft.com/archives/directxdev.html

That link gets you on the DX mailing list (which you should be on, it''s great) the actual email address to request beta signup is at the bottom of every message on that mailing list.
To make it easy for you, I went and looked into the stored messages (which you can freely do too at that URL) and the email you need turns out to be dx9beta@microsoft.com (I seem to recall signup takes a relatively short time but then you can''t access the site until about 24 hours has past).

Enjoy.

-Mezz