Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Law of Sines?

This topic is 5013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A friend of mine made this picture to illustrate the law of sines: http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Krakkles/law_of_sines.jpg I kinda see a pattern, but not completely...and I don't know how this knowledge would be useful. [edited by - Krak on March 24, 2004 10:25:47 AM]

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Krakkles/law_of_sines.jpg

In case anyone has difficulty finding it.

The "law of sines" allows you to find any length given 2 angles and a length. I''m sure someone else, who has used it in the past few years can give a more satifactory explanation.

Yeah, thats about it,

The "Law Of Sines" or as us Britishers tend to call it the "Sine Rule" Allows you to find the length of the side of any triangle given two angles and a side, or two sides and an angle.

Very useful for triangles of forces when dealing with forces in mechanical situations especialy when put alongside the "cosine rule"
a^2 = b2 + c2 - 2bccosA

Which gives you the length of a side given two sides and an angle etc...

EDIT: Typeo
---------

Does it matter? Even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters?

[edited by - SonOfNed on March 24, 2004 2:01:52 PM]

quote:
Original post by higherspeed
The "law of sines" allows you to find any length given 2 angles and a length. I'm sure someone else, who has used it in the past few years can give a more satifactory explanation.

Just to add to this, the Law of Sines can also work with two sides and an angle, as long as the angle IS NOT contained between the two sides. In that case we would go to the Law of Cosines.

[edited by - porthios on March 24, 2004 2:08:11 PM]

We would use the cosine law for any combination of 2 sides and an angle. Well that would be the quickest way. Not that it really matters either way.

[edited by - higherspeed on March 24, 2004 5:06:01 PM]