Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slow down on other computers?

This topic is 5013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For those who are familar with my past postings I finally got my simple ball game working. Its a type of "falldown" game where bars scroll up with spaces for your ball to fit through to avoid being "crushed" at the top of the screen. Not the next big game or anything but a simple project to get the hang of openGL. My question is that I programmed it to have "perfect" speed, that is, the speed I feel the game should have. But I have tried it on 3 other computers and there is significant slowdown, so much that it is not a challange. You could read a book and "play" the game at the same time. What is confusing is that I have a few years old Pentium 3 and the other computers I have used it on are all P4''s and much newer and supposed to be faster. I was wondering how I can compensate for this slowdown. If you want to look at my code, let me know and I''ll post it. Thanks. j_fish_

quote:
Original post by j_fish_
For those who are familar with my past postings I finally got my simple ball game working. Its a type of "falldown" game where bars scroll up with spaces for your ball to fit through to avoid being "crushed" at the top of the screen. Not the next big game or anything but a simple project to get the hang of openGL. My question is that I programmed it to have "perfect" speed, that is, the speed I feel the game should have. But I have tried it on 3 other computers and there is significant slowdown, so much that it is not a challange. You could read a book and "play" the game at the same time. What is confusing is that I have a few years old Pentium 3 and the other computers I have used it on are all P4''s and much newer and supposed to be faster. I was wondering how I can compensate for this slowdown. If you want to look at my code, let me know and I''ll post it. Thanks.

j_fish_

Look for time-based movement tutorials. You P3 must have a much better video card than the P4s.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"