Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting with PS2 development

This topic is 5011 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all Is there any way to do PS2 development without having to go and buy a whole load of stuff? E.g. getting a compiler that can run on a PC to build code for the PS2, which can be burnt onto CD/DVD and run? I had a brief look at PS2 linux, and ps2dev, but the linux kit is $200, and ps2dev requires a link cable of some sort. I don''t really want to have to buy anything, since i might only use it once, and its a pain to get a hold of. Any ideas? Cheers, Steve

You're not going to get any dev stuff done on the PS2 if you aren't willing to fork out any money. $200 is a bit steep, but it's not much more than you paid for the PS2 in the first place, and it's actually a fairly good deal for all the documentation and tools you get.

It is possible to do off-target development--and burn to CD rather than transfering over a cable--but the tools available aren't really built for it. If you really wanna go this route, you'll probably want to look at ps2dev's compiling tools, and how they build the "loader" program. Also, you'll still need a modchip for your PS2.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

[edited by - sneftel on March 24, 2004 1:06:20 PM]

yeah the linux dev kit is extremely cheap. when you understand that the normal dev kit is US $10,000 you'll understand why i say "cheap".

-me

[edited by - Palidine on March 24, 2004 1:07:12 PM]

Yeah, i know about the high price of the professional dev kits. Apparently the PS2 dev kit is more expensive in Europe too (Although i haven''t been able to find an exact price).

Actually, its my sisters PS2 I''m not all that interested in consoles, but i''d like to try writing a few small programs just for the experience - which is why i don''t really want to have to pay if theres a way around it.

I''ll have a more in depth look at things later - ps2dev particularly, it seems cheaper.

Thanks for the replies,
Steve

It''s entirely possible to do some ps2 developement without having to buy a ps2linux kit, nor paying large sums of money for any hardware.

Although a modchip is probably the easiest, there are other ways of getting homebrew PS2 software to run on a PS2.

ps2dev.org is a good place to start looking for info.

When I get a few of my projects out of the way I''ll be writing an article on this very subject, so keep an eye out

Drakonite

Shoot Pixels Not People

Guest Anonymous Poster
ps2 linux dev kit is reduced to $99. good deal as it comes with an HD.