Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XNA -- DirectX Next?

This topic is 5012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
to early to tell. remember also that first versions of directX were poor and microsofts first attempt at a windows Game sdk was disowned by them.

A cross platform standardization of component interfaces and a few tools for PC that have been available for XBox (and some tools for XBox that have been available for PC). It wasn''t made clear if this was going to be released to the public for free like DirectX SDK or if it will require a msdn subscription. I''m really curious to see what XACT is and how it differs from DirectXMusic Producer.

More Here 2

Quite interesting... but does it really help speed up production, or is it another "wrapper-arround-a-wrapper-arround-a-wrapper" solution from Microsoft?

And how cross platform is it? I'm guessint somewhere between not much and zero...

And how much does it support non-Microsoft technologies, like OpenGL, and other open-source game-related packages?

Just a few thoughts...

I'm guessing that this might be something good for studios developing PC/XBox game titles, but I dont see it affecting us (for the better) small indie developers much...

EDIT: Thanks Coder for the heads up... fixed.

Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it!
[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
                          Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id

[edited by - Prozak on March 25, 2004 5:18:31 PM]

Prozak:
- You need to fix your post. Seems like you forgot closing the anchor.

The XNA FAQ on microsoft''s website (microsoft.com/xna, I think) says they''re kind of standardizing controller input (so you deal with input the same way on the PCs and consoles), and - more importantly - that PIX is coming to the PC (It''s already being tested in the beta SDK). They''ve also got a couple of interviews with Sweeney and similar tech-heads, but I''ve not had a chance to watch them.
The rest is mostly marketing nonesense.

Muhammad Haggag
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

What is PIX? Some form of image library?

Microsoft XNA

Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it!
[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
                          Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id

Is this new SDK going to cost money? I''m guessing it is. And I bet it will be expensive.

If that''s the case then I wonder if MS plans to eventually replace DirectX on PC''s with it. Can''t see them supporting two separate SDK''s for long. That is if it supports the same feature set.

quote:
From the Microsoft XNA FAQ:
Q: What's the difference between Microsoft's XNA and Sony's Cell?
A: In the next generation, software-not hardware-will drive the games industry forward. Microsoft XNA software brings together chip and OEM partners to ultimately deliver thousands of integrated digital entertainment devices that work together and give consumers choice. Sony is talking about a fixed world of hardware that requires everyone to buy everything Sony. Sony's Cell is a hardware solution. This is a software revolution.

That part about criticizing Sony for trying to get everyone to buy Sony products is funny, since the whole idea of DirectX and XNA is to get everyone to buy Microsoft, since that'll be what [Microsoft hopes] all the good games will be made for. What an ironic statement. Not that I mind the purpose. It's quite an intelligent and successful move. But still ironic nonetheless.

As for cost:

quote:
From the Microsoft XNA FAQ:
Q:Does Microsoft XNA mean added costs for game developers?
A: No. XNA does not change the way that developers get tools from Microsoft today. The existing process for developers to get access to both the DirectX SDK and the Xbox XDK will remain the same. Costs for Microsoft XNA technology, tools, services and support will be the same as always. Microsoft XNA allows developers to put their money where it matters-making great games.

Of course, I'm ignorant of the XBox SDK details. Is it free, assuming you are qualified as an XBox developer? If so, then XNA should be freely available. This isn't a direct money-making scheme. It's a scheme to get all the good games to work only with Windows/XBox. I would suppose that they'd try to make this look very appealing to developers, just like with DirectX.

[edited by - Agony on March 25, 2004 5:48:31 PM]

quote:

Is it free, assuming you are qualified as an XBox developer? If so, then XNA should be freely available.

But doesn't it cost to be an XBox developer? Don't you have to qualify for a license, that you pay for, before they give you the XBox SDK?

If that's the case, were does XNA leave the PC hobbiest who uses DirectX for free? That is if they eventually decide to replace DirectX altogether with it.

[edited by - MagTDK on March 25, 2004 6:21:31 PM]

must...resist......the strangling grip of gatesy.

it feels like this will always be happening, the brute force of microsoft will never stop until everything is using its platform and technologies. It would make my life much easier if i just went with the flow, instead of resisting it. But gatesy is the devil, a rich devil, and he shall burn in pergatory.

It appears some are mistaking XNA as a possible replacement of DirectX. The XNA faq clearly states that it is not. It uses DirectX and Visual Studio, some additional tools and a few more interfaces to make game development supposedly faster for Windows Mobile, XBox, and PC. It also states they will offer XNA in the same manner as their other SDK's. It also says that XNA is not an all or nothing thing. You can choose which components of XNA to use. So if you only want to add PIX or XACT to your current enviroment you may do so. If you still want to use DirectInput's api instead of XNA's common controller api, you may do so.

[edited by - Mastaba on March 25, 2004 8:53:00 PM]

quote:

It appears some are mistaking XNA as a possible replacement of DirectX. The XNA faq clearly states that it is not.

I somehow missed reading that faq(http://www.microsoft.com/xna/)

Now that I've read it(after seeing the front page news on Gamedev.net),that sure did clear up a lot of questions I had.

[edited by - MagTDK on March 25, 2004 9:23:31 PM]

Having spent the time to read several news reports, press releases and the joint interview with the heads of Xbox and Windows gaming, I can confidently say that XNA sounds like a total winner. With Criterion (of RenderWare fame) already on board and others making similar positive noises, fears of a Microsoft software hegemony can be laid to rest.

Personally, though, I''m most excited about the input devices: about damn time!

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Personally, though, I''m most excited about the input devices: about damn time!
I take that back. I''m next most excited about input devices. First place belongs to the prospect of cross-platform Live.
PIX is a very exciting feature as well. Hopefully the PC version is close to what the xbox version is, because it could be extremely useful.