XNA -- DirectX Next?

Started by
17 comments, last by airbug 20 years ago
quote:
Is it free, assuming you are qualified as an XBox developer? If so, then XNA should be freely available.

But doesn't it cost to be an XBox developer? Don't you have to qualify for a license, that you pay for, before they give you the XBox SDK?

If that's the case, were does XNA leave the PC hobbiest who uses DirectX for free? That is if they eventually decide to replace DirectX altogether with it.

[edited by - MagTDK on March 25, 2004 6:21:31 PM]
Advertisement
must...resist......the strangling grip of gatesy.

it feels like this will always be happening, the brute force of microsoft will never stop until everything is using its platform and technologies. It would make my life much easier if i just went with the flow, instead of resisting it. But gatesy is the devil, a rich devil, and he shall burn in pergatory.
It appears some are mistaking XNA as a possible replacement of DirectX. The XNA faq clearly states that it is not. It uses DirectX and Visual Studio, some additional tools and a few more interfaces to make game development supposedly faster for Windows Mobile, XBox, and PC. It also states they will offer XNA in the same manner as their other SDK's. It also says that XNA is not an all or nothing thing. You can choose which components of XNA to use. So if you only want to add PIX or XACT to your current enviroment you may do so. If you still want to use DirectInput's api instead of XNA's common controller api, you may do so.

[edited by - Mastaba on March 25, 2004 8:53:00 PM]
quote:
It appears some are mistaking XNA as a possible replacement of DirectX. The XNA faq clearly states that it is not.

I somehow missed reading that faq(http://www.microsoft.com/xna/)

Now that I've read it(after seeing the front page news on Gamedev.net),that sure did clear up a lot of questions I had.

[edited by - MagTDK on March 25, 2004 9:23:31 PM]
Having spent the time to read several news reports, press releases and the joint interview with the heads of Xbox and Windows gaming, I can confidently say that XNA sounds like a total winner. With Criterion (of RenderWare fame) already on board and others making similar positive noises, fears of a Microsoft software hegemony can be laid to rest.

Personally, though, I''m most excited about the input devices: about damn time!
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
I take that back. I''m next most excited about input devices. First place belongs to the prospect of cross-platform Live.
I take that back. I''m next most excited about input devices. First place belongs to the prospect of cross-platform Live.
PIX is a very exciting feature as well. Hopefully the PC version is close to what the xbox version is, because it could be extremely useful.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
are the demonstration videos on the XNA site realtime demos/games? coz those crashes look amazing, i cant wait till i can smash a car up like that
I don''t like M$ but it''s about time someone standardised input devices. There was more standarisation in 80''s consoles than there is now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement