Free software with MIDI sequencer and sample support?

Started by
14 comments, last by Promit 20 years ago
quote:Original post by CBlockDis
quote:Original post by a_zircon
FLStudio is definitly a sequencer; it processes all events in MIDI form, and can also arrange/mix audio. Also, while it''s ORIGINAL purpose was meant for simple loops, it is perfectly capable of being used to compose full songs of any genre at this point.

Okay, so I''m assuming that since it''s a sequencer you can change the velocity for this note and that note, use the expression, modulation, portamento, etc controllers, use...well...ALL the controllers that come standard in sequencers, as well as the pitch wheel.

Yes, of course you can.
Advertisement
FLStudio is definitly a sequencer; it processes all events in MIDI form, and can also arrange/mix audio. Also, while it''s ORIGINAL purpose was meant for simple loops, it is perfectly capable of being used to compose full songs of any genre at this point.

Okay, so I''m assuming that since it''s a sequencer you can change the velocity for this note and that note, use the expression, modulation, portamento, etc controllers, use...well...ALL the controllers that come standard in sequencers, as well as the pitch wheel.

Yes, of course you can.

Ah. All I''ve ever heard come from FL is dance music and such, and have never heard anybody make good use of velocity in FL. Now...there is also the fact I have FL4 and haven''t had a chance to really play with it...but I''m too lazy to open it up and learn anything about it.
I downloaded the FL trial, and I like it...even though I haven''t actually managed to achieve anything in it.

I might just shell out the money for the cheapest edition.

Oh, and I tried to learn tracking but I hate it. Like I said before, music needs to give me visual cues. Staff and piano roll give me that, the tracker doesn''t. Anvil will have to do for now.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Yes, of course you can.

Ah. All I''ve ever heard come from FL is dance music and such, and have never heard anybody make good use of velocity in FL. Now...there is also the fact I have FL4 and haven''t had a chance to really play with it...but I''m too lazy to open it up and learn anything about it.

It is most certainly capable of doing any genre of music; I have routine composition competitions on IRC where most people use FL, and the orchestral work some of the people submit is really outstanding- some of it is film score quality. The problem is that it since dance music is fairly easy to make, new users to the program tend to write that kind of music.
It''s final; FL Studio is teh Win.

I''m just sorry I can''t buy it till Tuesday (me B-day) I''m gonna lose my bass riff.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Man, every time this question comes up here, it seems like trackers are the 1st thing suggested. I always feel like I've fallen into a time warp. I expect someone to say..'hey, have you heard about this new thing called midi?' Anyway, if you still like trackers best... that's fine, but come on, don't advise people starting out to go in that direction.

I'd recommend, as a start, picking up a copy of Computer Music magazine. On the CD that comes with it you'll find a decent sequencer. It is a VST host, and you'll get a bunch of nice vst instruments on the CD too.

Better yet, follow Buckles' advice and get the most basic Cakewalk sequencer, then when you are ready for more advanced stuff you can upgrade to Sonar.

(I guess if you're happy with FL, it's not really a bad choice. I would be concerned that someday down the road you're going to feel constrained by it's limitations. It would be worth it IMHO to just invest the time and money in a real sequencer from the start.)

[edited by - DanaHawkes on March 28, 2004 8:26:14 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement