game engine tutorial or book

Started by
9 comments, last by corrington_j 20 years ago
I am looking for a good book or tutorial that is just about creating a game engine, not all the graphics and sound. I have several game programming books, and they all seem to focus on the graphics, and sound, and all that. I am getting comfused about how to create a good engine, and I really need some help. So if anyone knows of any books or tutorials that would be great. Thanks Jesse
Advertisement
http://warrior-101.tripod.com/dstut/dstut.htm
As I recall this was a very popular tutorial on this site about creating a small engine.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/enginuity1/
The first link was only tutorials about data structures. The second link looked like a good tutorial, but I felt like it may have been a little over my head. Does anyone know of any others, any books maybe. Thanks

Jesse
I recently got Core Techniques and Algorithms in Game Programming (newriders.com). Haven't read it all yet, but so far its good. The book covers all aspects of writing a game, the list of contents should give you some idea. While it doesn't cover the subjects in a great deal of depth, there are appendices with plenty of further reading. A couple of reviews, one from this site and one from Gamasutra.com (login needed). Both are very positive.

[edited by - paulc on March 25, 2004 7:22:24 PM]
Thanks, that sounds pretty much like what I am looking for. Any other suggestions.
well, after looking at the contents it may not be exactly what i''m after, it seems there were only about three chapters that seemed beneficial to me, and the chapters under the engine section seemed to be all about graphics and AI. Am i wrong, will this book teach me how to make a game engine, or does it not go in enough depth about the engine and architexture. thanks
I dont know of a single book that will teach how to complete an entire game engine. A game engines entails a lot: graphics, sound, AI, physics, music, sound, etc. A single book giving good coverage to all those would take several thousand pages.

But the Core Alogorithms book gives a good overview of what needs to go into a game engine. You should buy it and read. About the only thing that it does not give enough coverage to , IMHO is the physics. But then you could just check the article section here for that.

Now Role Playing Game programming with Direct X does show you how to create a game engine, but it is specific to RPGs and DirectX.
I''m not really looking for so much of how to implement all the aspects of a game engine, but more of how to put it all together and make all the pieces work. Does that book do that, because the ones I have don''t really do a good job of it.
I once was after the same thing. There are no books afaik on the subject, the algorithms book is great, but its not about game engines. The only truly usefull resource i found is the engunity series, which is very good.

An other great way of learning is studying commercial games that have released their source''s. Civ2, quake etc..
Shields up! Rrrrred alert!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement