game engine tutorial or book

Started by
9 comments, last by corrington_j 20 years ago
I ordered the book from amazon a few days ago and it just arrived. I spent about an hour thumbing through the book and just kinda going over what was covered and how in depth it was.

I'd say if you're just getting into game programming and maybe know a little bit, the book is an excellent book. It goes over quite a few topic but unfortunately not in any real depth. It's a good starting point for not-quite-yet intermediate game programmers to branch out from.

If you've been around the block then I dont think you'll get very much use out of 90% of the book. There were a few sections I found interesting but for me most of the book just a rehash of old topics.

It also seems some of the content from the book was the same stuff you'd find on various websites on game development. The section on portal rendering had images from some stuff id seen on the net as did a few other sections.

What the author does cover, he does do a good job of explaining things, so for anybody who would get something out of the content of the book, you'll have no problem understanding the author.

I did find some errata in the diagrams, but nothing the user couldnt put 2 and 2 together on and figure out what should be there.

Overall, I'd give the book a 82 out of a 100. It's a great compiliation of a broad range of topics ranging from input and networking to radiosity and ROAM. I think with a tighter focus and more indepth coverage the book would have earned a higher rating.

-=[ Megahertz ]=-

[edited by - Megahertz on March 30, 2004 4:44:46 PM]
-=[Megahertz]=-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement