Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual C++ .Net Step by Step Book By Microsoft

This topic is 5014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am really new to programming, at least in the feilds of c++ and visual studio. I bought visual basic step by step, returned it and then got visual C++ .net...both put out my microsoft press...I was just curious if this book is good for me to start out on...im just trying to learn C++ in all its glory...not just for games...If you have tried this book what do you think or should I get a different one that is better for beginners?

first u''ve got to make sure what programming language u want to learn? C++ or Basic? only after that u can choose books.

about this visual C++.net step by step, i ''ve read serval sections, not the entire book, so my opinion may not be very external. i think this book is pretty straightforward, it should make u feel easy to learn. but this book is not one of those classic C++ tutorial books, and it includes both C++ & VC IDE(u know what an IDE is?) which may be a good thing but may also be a bad thing, it depends. so i suggest u to buy some classic ones. go to the "For Beginners" resources in this GDNet to see if any help could be found there.

I looked at TOC for book and if you never programmed with c++ your jumping in over your head. It looks like only the first 10 chapters actually cover c++. The rest of book then covers microsoft specific stuff like managed extensions,.net,windows forms,etc.
I think you better off getting a book like "accelerated c++" but if you don''t want to return book you can read "thinking in c++" which is freely available on web before you read your book and I think it will make a lot more sense.

If God played dice, He''d win.
—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos